News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Ardnamurchan Peninsula (Hill Lochs) - What flies to use?

Started by broad2710, August 31, 2008, 10:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broad2710

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on what flies i should be fishing and what configuration for brow trout and ferox . Fishing remote hill lochs, present time of year on the Ardnamurchan peninsula (West of ft William).

I have fished the lochs before but with no success, i know that there are some really nice brownies lurking in the loch.

appreciate any suggestion

thanks

Wildfisher

At this time of year for wets you can?t go far wrong with

Bibio
Silver invicta
Butcher
Pearly black pennel

The above in 10. 12 and perhaps 14

Also, for dries,  take some daddies and hoppers ? black and claret and you?ll be just about covered. Size 10 and 12.

The weather can be very, very fickle in September and that?s  likely to be the main factor in your success or failure

I?m sure you?ll get some more suggestions for other members.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

broad2710

Quote from: crocach on September 01, 2008, 10:43:34 AM
Your chances of a Ferox with conventional fly tactics is probably pretty remote.

When you fished unsuccessfully what were you doing?

It was extremely bright when i fished previoulsy. I was using an intermediate sink line with just one fly fishing from the shore.

I wasnt covering enough water which i think contributed to my lack of fish.

sandyborthwick

I'd concentrate on a floating line if the weather is half decent or if there's a big wave take an intermediate or neutral density - this will cut the waves and keep you pulling flies on a straight line.

Flies I'd add to those already listed are Clan Chief, and Irish bumbles, some Sedgehogs or muddlers.

You should have still been contacting fish even in the bright conditions - often flies with silver or tags in them work well on days like these. If it's bright use a floater the fish will rise to the fly if its the right one.

If your after big browns then it is flies like the Humungus or Cats whiskers which they seem to prefer but you'll spend a lot of life trying for one of those on the fly. 

superscot

noooo come on lads nay mention of the classic Peter Ross !

sandyborthwick

Oh just to add one final tip, a lot of trout don't sit out in the middle of Lochs :) - especially steep sided hill lochs they lie along the bankside :wink:. It's well worth casting along the bank at an angle in the direction your travelling before getting there and trying further out. Also keep on the move if you get no touches or offers after a few casts take a few paces and start again.

Our wee highland hill troot are canny blighters and only get big by gyle - they are easily spooked and if you walk right up to the edge of some lochs they will be off like a shot and not be interested in anything you have to offer :shock:. On other Lochs they will be positively suicidal and four to the pound. If there are any obvious features like rocks, wee islands, or weed patches give these plenty of time. Also where a burn comes in or leaves are well worth a slightly longer spell of casting.

If the loch is deep look for the shallower areas IE upto 10-15ft you are more likely to find more numerous fishing in these areas than the very deep dour sections as a rule.

Any way hope you have a great time and catch a few wee scrappers - none of this is gospel just worth bearing in mind if things are a bit tough.

Sandy B.O. 

broad2710

Go To Front Page