News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Aquarium Plants
Last post by Jon - Today at 02:58:22 PM
Posting today.

Amazon Swords. Plant these in the sand. Consider adding root tabs for maximum growth.

Java Fern. Tie these to wood using dark coloured cotton or fishing line. The 'roots' are not actually roots but a rhizome. Don't bury in the substrate as this will kill them. In time the rhizome will form a natural attachment to the wood and you'll see good growth. Use a high quality liquid fertilizer as per instructions for these.

Aponogeton natans. Crappy looking little bulbs. Bury these in the sand. You might be surprised with their growth rate. They'll soon hit the water surface in a couple of weeks, look 20 times better and should then produce small white flowers at the water surface.

Red lily bulb. Bury just two thirds in the substrate with the shoots face up and roots face down. These produce red foliage and can grow large.

Java Moss. Looks a mess.... Again, tie this to wood using cotton or a low breaking strain tippet. In time it will also attach naturally to hardscape and will look great. Some bits may float away if not tied securely.

Egeria densa. A super easy species to grow. It's naturally a floating plant but you can root if you like.

I really wood spend a few quid on root tabs and a liquid fertiliser. Initially start with less than half the stated dose of the liquid. If you have too many nutrients in the water you'll end up with algae. As the plants grow and as you add more you can build up the dose etc.

If you end up with algae you're overdoing it. :)

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Micro terrarium
Last post by Jon - Today at 02:27:27 PM
Add four airplants and a random succulent. The Tillandsia bulbosa have been siliconed upside down deliberately as the future inhabitant needs to hang so it can moult at a later date.

Feed the plants, affix the door and wait for the silicone to cure. And hope laddo is pleased with his new  pet and home? 

Last post by Jon - Today at 01:29:06 PM
Add drainage.

Add some badly cut mesh.

Add some ridiculously overpriced substrate with additional carbon to keep everything sweet smelling.

Kick yourself when you realise that the 200 + pieces of aquarium wood you thought you had got shipped to Amazon on Tuesday!
Last post by Jon - Today at 01:05:56 PM
Looks like it's been supplied with two types of mesh for use depending on what you're keeping in it.

I really wish I'd not had cut my nails so dam short yesterday. Peeling off the backing was a pain.

Simple clip together then.

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Micro terrarium
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:00:41 PM
Not fish related at all. But this was bought from an LFS.

I'll post more pictures later as I finish it for the lad. No instructions mean I feel like I'm prepping for the Krypton Factor!

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: No water Changes
Last post by Fishtales - Yesterday at 09:41:53 PM
The saga continues. Checking the corner again and I saw a pin fry wriggling in the gravel. Too small to even guess what it is :)
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Amazing find!
Last post by Fishtales - Yesterday at 09:39:54 PM
I remember from years ago when trying to catch them they would dive into the gravel and disappear :)
Last post by SoldierPmr - Yesterday at 09:07:46 PM
I've heard of people dismantling their tanks to find Khulis they thought had disappeared years ago. They really must be the best hiders. I really like them but for this reason I have never bought any.
Last post by Fishtales - Yesterday at 08:30:37 PM
Amazing that I haven't seen it over the last five years. I spend time in the shed at various times, even when the lights are off as I have a night light that comes on when the lights go out, and never saw it once :)
Last post by Wildfisher - Yesterday at 07:52:58 PM
Sneaky!   ;D
Go To Front Page