News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What is this?

Started by piscatus absentis, February 19, 2010, 06:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

Out for a ramble this morning and came across this stuff.  Spread out across an area about 100 by 50 yards. At first I thought it was cotton wool but when I picked some of it up I noted it was short filaments each around 2 inches long.  It was spread over too large an area to be some kind of discarded material and was clinging to the grass.

Some kind of fungus?  It was a cold morning with frost on the ground.

alancrob

I saw patches of that near Dunkeld last weekend. Looked a bit like the white roots of the grass coming out of the ground?

Alan

Malcolm

PA

I think it's snow mold, we had it on our cricket pitch about 20 odd years ago. The conditions have been just right for it lately!

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Harpo

Since the lothians are the UFO capital of the uk, it must be some sort of ectoplasm

Clan Ford

There has been loads of this stuff round Crieff - it really seems to like the "new ground" on a rugby pitch on our recently built school.  When you pick it up it sort of breaks up into lots of wee strings - just like you mention Bob.  It seems to thrive just after snow and frost and then die back after a couple of mild days.  It is strange stuff :dunno

Norm

Go To Front Page