News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Ticks

Started by Wildfisher, June 01, 2012, 11:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripple

We just started using Frontline,  I have always just removed them manually.

emc

Quote from: Malcolm on June 01, 2012, 12:25:40 PM
We dosed our elkhound with Avantix this week. She has spent the last couple of days scratching. In fact she was so eager to scratch that she was stumbling when she walked as her back legs were twitching forward, as she walked, in her haste get at the itchiness. Of course there is always the possibility of this having nothing to do with the dose and she was just itchy with moulting but I'm not taking the chance again. Thankfully it has eased off now - perhaps due to a bath and giving her coat a long brush out.

This was the first time we have used Avantix after years of using Frontline.

From the datasheet

On very rare occasions reactions in dogs may include transient skin sensitivity (increased local itching, scratching and rubbing, hair loss and redness at the application site) or lethargy that are generally self resolving.
In very rare cases dogs may show behaviour changes (agitation, restlessness, whining or rolling), gastro-intestinal symptoms (vomiting, diarrhoea, hypersalivation, diminished appetite) and neurological signs such as unsteady movement and twitching in dogs susceptible to the ingredient permethrin. These signs are generally transient and self-resolving.

Almost all drugs have possible side effects even simple ones like aspirin and paractamol. Side effects in drugs are usually categorised  as occurring 1:10, 1:100, 1:1000, 1:10000 depending on frequency. Very rare is probably 1:10000 - and you are just unlucky.

I injured myself was injured recently and was given Tramadol.  I had most of the side effects on the datasheet  even the 1:100000 ones - the only ones I did not get were heart attack and death. :shock: :shock: Lots of people take Tramadol (some even for pleasure  :8) - and lots of people get great benefit. I was just unlucky. Removing the drug from use would deprive a lot of people of  a pain free existence but I won't be taking it again.

Same with tick and flea treatments or MMR vaccination in kids - it is, in general all for the greater good, as it were - just a total bastard if you are one of the unfortunates. The chances of your dug getting Lyme disease (and it is a nasty disease in dogs as well as humans)  in a tick rich area is probably greater than the risk of side effects from the drug. It's a sod if your dog is the one to react to the drug.

Quote from: Inchlaggan on June 01, 2012, 12:09:19 PM
Vet only I think.
Wrong again, available on the web, cheaper from our Vet.
Must remember to consult SWMBO before posting pish in the Forum!
Still wrong! We use Frontline Combo, which is prescription only- correct at the time of typing!
I'll give up on this thread until our expert comes online!

It is prescription only but you can get prescriptions filled on t'web -  just make sure you're not sold a fake, or from your vet who will probably charge more!

Quote from: Inchlaggan on June 01, 2012, 12:03:36 PM
It's a balance of risks of course (they are systemic insecticides), and not just to the Dug but then of the Dug transferring them to you.
A dose lasts a month, we restrict it to tick season, and have had no problems, The Dug is on deer trails daily.you could just do it for West Coast trips.
I know we have an expert on the forum, hopefully he'll comment on any side-effects, but we have not seen any on our badly-behaved black Lab.
Any tick bite here that develops a red ring around it and you are on antibiotics for a fortnight, Lymes disease is not to be trifled with.
I have seen visiting dugs miserable with them, and a blackcurrant sized one is small beer, trust me.

EDIT- we use Frontline, not Advantix.

Don't mess with ticks!

Hope I'm not the expert - I'm only an equine gynaecologist, obstetrician and paediatrician - who once did dogs and cats :roll:

emc

Actually Frontline is not prescription only ( a POM-V or POM-VPS ) :oops2 but is an NFA-VPS so it can only be supplied by an RQP or appropriately qualified SQP, ie your vet, your local (if they have an appropriately qualified SQP or an RQP) pet superstore or an internet pharmacy ( and they should have  an appropriately qualified SQP or an RQP!)  :roll: :roll:

Inchlaggan

Quote from: emc on June 01, 2012, 06:22:26 PM
Actually Frontline is not prescription only ( a POM-V or POM-VPS ) :oops2 but is an NFA-VPS so it can only be supplied by an RQP or appropriately qualified SQP, ie your vet, your local (if they have an appropriately qualified SQP or an RQP) pet superstore or an internet pharmacy ( and they should have  an appropriately qualified SQP or an RQP!)  :roll: :roll:
That reads like "expert" to me...........
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: emc on June 01, 2012, 01:02:55 PM
I'm only an equine gynaecologist,

That's interesting Euan. Any tips on how to deal with the occasional salmon fishing  fanny I meet  who goes  horsing along the banks of the Don spooking the trout?    :lol:

Ripple

Hmm disappointing to read that front line might not be a deterrent, I have a long haired cat and its not easy to find ticks.

Noddy

We try and avoid using any of these treatments on our Jack Russell cross.  Theres a noticeable dip in his well being after being treated.  We almost lost him two years ago the vet had written him off, he was jaundiced and not eating.  The vet asked us to consider putting him to sleep.  He had been treated with a spot on treatment a week or so before that. 

Jim

emc

We live in an area where ticks and Lyme disease is a problem and I have had always found Frontline to be effective. For the odd tick I just use some Frontline spray on a bit of cotton wool dabbed around the tick.

The most important things to be aware of are that (1) ticks are a danger to both dogs and cats and should be controlled and (2) that not all drugs work effectively, everywhere, all the time. ...... just make sure that you do use something if your dog or cat is exposed to ticks and try something else if it doesn't.

Oh yes, and Moray is right - don't use Bob Martins. :roll:

Quote from: Ripple on June 01, 2012, 10:34:04 PM
Hmm disappointing to read that front line might not be a deterrent, I have a long haired cat and its not easy to find ticks.

Seresto is fine for cats. The makers even claim that the collar is designed to give way if the cat becomes trapped by it.

Quote from: admin on June 01, 2012, 07:20:34 PM

That's interesting Euan. Any tips on how to deal with the occasional salmon fishing  fanny I meet  who goes  horsing along the banks of the Don spooking the trout?    :lol:

Fred, our first option, speaking from a professional capacity you understand, is physical restraint. If that doesn't work we use chemical restraint. If that doesn't work we shoot them!

superscot

Old thread but still a  serious subject, seems we are going to be in for a sore season of them

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/epidemic-ticks-hit-britain-summer-3484449#.U2PaCzCWtMU.facebook

Just mind and check yerself after a day out and include the Dug

Bobfly

The wee tick removal tweezer things from the vets have an anti-clockwise instruction arrow on them so maybe ticks are maybe more easily wound out that direction. Years ago I just used to pull them straight out but a bit of head always got left  !! :(
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page