News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mini Dancer

Started by piscatus absentis, May 24, 2007, 10:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

Here?s one that?s fast turning into my fly of the year.  Just over 20 fish in the past week and 30 in the season to date.  Fish it very slowly on an intermediate.  If your on a shallow, snaggy loch like Hillend expect to lose a lot through hang-ups.  But what the hell - if you manage three fish per fly you?re winning.  Best on a size 12 but the one in the picture is a 10 for ease of tying and photography.

Thread      Any light coloured

Rib      Fine silver or gold

Tail      Orange marabou

Body      White wool

Hackle      Palmered   - White or pale yellow or grizzle.

sandyborthwick

Used to have several tyings on this theme myself - we just called them wooly worms. They are very effective fished slow on intermediate lines deeper down when the fish are off the surface. I always found that the yellow bodied yellow tail was most effective. It is also a simple and good fly to tie for anyone that is just begining the art. Sometimes a version with the Yellow body and a red tail works well also. The bigger the hackle the better - seems to stop the fly picking up weed on the slow retrieve.

Nice one Piscatus - hadn't used one in a while so I'll have to give it an outing from the box.

Sandy B.O.

sandyborthwick

I would agree there, the yellow body and tail seems to be a good brownie fly especially with a really big hackle - early seasn and late on when its cold is best. The red tail is also very effective on the right day. Oddly had very simailar results to you with the orrange body and tail - real bow bashing fly but can't remember any brownies being too interested in it.

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page