News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Heron`s

Started by JIMCCS, April 06, 2012, 10:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIMCCS

Is it me or does it seem like there`s more of them about on the Rivers?  I know at this time of year they may be more active but it`s something that I`ve thought about for the last couple of years whenever I see them. By the way I`ve got nothing against them it`s maybe just an observation.

Black-Don

The people who owned the house I was working in today had a garden pond with fish in it, now they just have a garden pond thanks to a local Heron.

Wildfisher

Hunners of them on the Don as well as goosanders etc. With the ever increasing runs of fish it is difficult to see what harm they are doing. Basically anglers seem to have a need to find something to blame for lack of catches. It could  not possibly be their own lack of skill to blame.

emc

Quote from: BARFLY on April 06, 2012, 11:05:45 PM
No real harm at all I don`t think, they`ve got to live as well.
Quote from: admin on April 06, 2012, 10:58:56 PM

Hunners of them on the Don as well as goosanders etc. With the ever increasing runs of fish it is difficult to see what harm they are doing. Basically anglers seem to have a need to find something to blame for lack of catches. It could  not possibly be their own lack of skill to blame.

You two obviously aren't really salmon fishers then.

Malcolm

Quote from: admin on April 06, 2012, 10:58:56 PM

Getting beyond a joke all these predators. I think we need to re-establish breeding populations of apex predators like Eagle owl, lynx, wolf and Craig Whytes.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Bobfly

I sat watching a heron beside a small ditch in Glenbrittle on Skye one wet morning. The drain was about 18 inches across at the most. After standing stock still for five minutes it suddenly stabbed into the drain and was then bent down being thrashed about with only its back in view. After a short spell it appeared with a big eel wrapped around its head and neck and the pair had a dance about in the rushes for what seemed the next two minutes or so. The eel was about two feet, fat and strong and whipping the heron all over the place...!!! Most comical thing I have seen on the hill. In the end the heron won the day .
:D :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page