News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lures (streamers )for rivers?

Started by col, December 06, 2008, 05:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

This season i did try on a very  few occasions try "totally" unsuccessfully a few lures (black wooly buggers , and arctic fox black and white clouser) perhaps the conditions were wrong, but more than likely it was down to my lack of confidence with the method  and perseverance  . Next season i plan to attempt to put this  right, as it might just  add another string to the bow !

What sizes (after seeing Clan fords i think mine were a bit wee) /colours are best , how much weight and any tips on how to fish the beasts will be appreciated and if you can please stick up some piccies.
cheers Col

bibio1

Col,

Like you I gave it a go on the Clyde last year. I was amazed that I caught trout on size 6 longshank black lures at night.

I am going to give double bunnies a go especially for the bigger fish.

Paul

haresear

Col,

Harelug and I have used various streamers in dead low water in summer when the fish are supposedly spooky. we have had some fish, but not many. I've been using fritz buggers, but I reckon they are too water-resistant and rise in the water too easily when fished on a floater. Something slim would be better and Bob's clousers would certainly be worth a go on the floater.

What is very noticeable is the huge number of abortive follows we have had from some pretty big fish. We are usually using floating lines with weighted flies, but I think a sinking line on a short leader and an unweighted fly might do better. Maybe a fast sinker and a booby might be worth a go :crap

For what it is worth, I usually cast square to the current or even upstream, but that is with a floater. With a sinker, a down and across is probably the way to go.

I have twice had trout attack fish I was playing. One of the fish I was playing was nearly 2lb and it was actually seized momentarily by a bigger fish. I have seen the same thing happen on a rainbow fishery to a pal (no he wasn't grabbed :)). I am sure that each time it was a territorial issue rather than a feeding instinct. Maybe the bigger the fly the better?

I was given some huge tandem lures (in very garish colours) )by a well known NZ fly tier and guide last time we met. He has had his clients stripping lures quite a lot lately and in gin clear conditions too.   

Alex

Protect the edge.

Andrew Moray

Hello Col,

I went on a fishing trip to the Czech Republic in May, and just in case I went all that way, and the water was high, I made sure I tied up some streamers.
The GAC had a Tiemco bargain bucket, so I picked up a packet of #8 TMC 300:
http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/hooks-tmc.htm#TMC300
and tied up some big F.O. tungsten conehead wooly buggers, olive and black.

Didn't "need" them there, but I have fished them here on a Cortland 5' sink tip (6"/sec I think) with a short leader.
Had several shoulder wrenching skelps, but haven't landed anything substantial with them.
Much the same as my son's experience with trout poppers  :D

Tony

dseabass

stuck on an orange gold head fritz about 2 inches long once at loch loyal when out in the boat ---it was a dour day with nothing happening and was a desperado measure ---ended up with 2 broonies on it -----aint no logic to this fishin lark --probably just annoyed them long enough to attack it --maybe just the brightness ----but then again if they go for spinners ????     so thats what i think ---yr still fly fishin -but really lure fishin  :lol:

3 weight

On the way back from some pike fishing a few months ago i chucked a 2 inch floating fry thing into what looked to me like a big puddle, sure enough a 6/7 inch brownie attacked it as soon as it hit the water!
paulr had a similar sized troot minutes later on a small bucktail streamer ( they were the closest things we had to trout flies)

Its certainly given me food for thought for the coming season.

Go To Front Page