News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Open Board / Re: Snow in the forecast
Last post by Fishtales - Today at 05:15:58 PM
I can remember when our two were wee, mid '80's, and we came through Braemar on June or July the first, not sure which, on the Saturday. Everyone was out in shorts and t-shirts. We got to Spey Bay and set up the tent. During the night there was a tremendous storm and in the morning I heard on the news that Braemar was snowed in, all roads blocked :)
Open Board / Snow in the forecast
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 04:51:46 PM
No kidding, snow is forecast for the hills by midweek!

Snow in June is not rare of course and I can remember being caught in snow in July in the Cairngorms back in the 1970s.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Apistogramma
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:23:49 PM
I meant to add this book is a superb reference for all things South American dwarf cichlid. Not only does it has a lot of information on local biotoptes but also wild behaviour too.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/South_American_Dwarf_Cichlids.html?id=U64KMQAACAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

See if your local library can source you a copy. The info is just so much more than you'll get from a social media group covering the genus. :)
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Aquarium Plants
Last post by Jon - Today at 09:10:47 AM
Good to know. Keep feeding. :)
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Melanochromis auratus
Last post by Jon - Today at 09:09:57 AM
I like these a lot. But they're very a pain in the erse behaviour wise. They want a decent sized tank with a lot of hiding places for fish to escape the inevitable aggro!
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Apistogramma
Last post by Jon - Today at 09:08:39 AM
Bred a few over the years. They're all the same in essence. In a small tank a pair will form, lay eggs in a cave or similar and then once the eggs have hatched the fry will be moved around the tank to pits dug in the substrate etc.

The parents are protective so other fish will be chased away from the young. Feed with a lot of newly hatched brine shrimp for best results. Though Liquifry for egg layers, infusorians and micro worms will also be taken.

If well fed the parents will spawn regularly.

If you want to breed them, obtain a small group from various sources to avoid inbreeding and grow them on. A pair will form naturally. Be prepared to remove other fish if they're hassled a lot by the spawning pair.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Aquarium Plants
Last post by Wildfisher - May 30, 2024, 04:06:55 PM
My Aponogeton natans is feet long now and flowering!   :)
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Mail Order Fish
Last post by Crawhin - May 30, 2024, 01:57:52 PM
That's stunning Fred. Nice.
Rivers And Lochs / Re: Wales
Last post by Scozzie - May 30, 2024, 10:31:24 AM
Hey Matt that's great will get back to you when I know dates destinations we are looking at
Rivers And Lochs / Re: Wick
Last post by Bobfly - May 29, 2024, 11:31:36 PM
I hope things will pick up for you. Would expect better at this time.
Go To Front Page