News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting with both hands

Started by Wildfisher, March 30, 2009, 08:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

How many of you can you cast  with both your right and left hands and if you can when do you find it useful?

Scotaidh

I cannot cast with my left hand, although I have to admit it would be most useful on rivers.

I do however frequently cast using only right hand while hanging onto to the bank and such.

Part-time

I usually cast with my right hand even though I write with my left. I don't have a problem casting with my left hand if i need to (because of the wind direction or to make things easier in a boat) and can do so all day. Takes a minute or to to get into the swing of things after swapping over. I'd say I was as good (bad!) casting with either hand.

Malcolm

I cast with both hands but I'm not great left handed.

However on rivers I use a "switch" rod which can be used double or single handed. Using a double handed cast I can cast equally well with both hands.

I find it very useful particularly on rivers as I don't have to cast over the left shoulder so often in heavy vegetation and much of my fishing is done in jungle. It also means I don't have to cast at angles which are quite so unnatural.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

I can cast with my left to a degree, but not well at all. I can't haul when casting left handed.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on March 30, 2009, 09:12:13 PM
I can't haul when casting left handed.

I have been trying to teach myself to cast with my left hand (for reasons we discussed in NZ)  and have the some problem. I can cast  although it is tiring, but my line hand gets lost.

haresear

QuoteI have been trying to teach myself to cast with my left hand (for reasons we discussed in NZ)  and have the some problem. I can cast  although it is tiring, but my line hand gets lost.

I'm going to try teaching myself using a trick I showed you for learning to double haul.
Remember that hauling exercise I showed you sidecasting on the grass?

Do a single haul on the backcast and let it land. Do a single haul on the forward cast and let it land. Then aerialise it and gradually go to the vertical.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I'll  try that Alex. I think casting right (or left)  handed only can be  downright dangerous in some situations. Spring creek 1 - flood - woolly bugger - upstream wind.   :D  Useful for boat fishing too!

Pearly Invicta

Never really thought about it but I'll give it a try. In a really strong gusting wind coming at you from your right hand side it could be much safer than persevering with the right hand.

rabbitangler

I'm reliably informed that women make better learners than men casting because they have no inherent 'throwing' muscle memory which men have had for as long as we've chucked things at game, or each other for that matter. BUT we don't have that in our left hands so in theory perseverance with left handed casting should result in better casts, loops etc. I can cast as well with my left as my right at about 10 yds i.e. no shooting, hauling or what have you but I don't have the time to practice to get better. Saying that casting over the left shoulder is much simpler and just about as effective in a fishing situation

Go To Front Page