News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casts that Catch Fish

Started by haresear, August 13, 2010, 09:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on August 14, 2010, 10:17:25 PM
you need to overpower it so the leader pings downward, and tracking neads to be dead straight or it pings to the side, thats where i'm at :lol:

look at this animation.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/tuck.htm

it looks like the fly is recoiling. If it's got no weight it won't do that easily.

Wildfisher

I really must  get one of these sad basatrd indoor practice rods so I can try these things out as I read them here.   :D

whinging pom

His name is Carl McNeil, he also did these video a few years ago that you may have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bumcast#p/a/u/2/_BpK4mZZTF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnfKbKHnEN8&feature=player_embedded

The second one makes me want to weep.It all makes me feel like i shouldnt be let out with a fly rod! Cant imagine how I manage to ever catch trout.

He did the once in a blue moon vids about the mouse year, his site is:-
http://www.onthefly.co.nz/pages/clips.html

... My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

scotty9

Alan as Malcolm says it's not for slack line as such, it's so the nymph starts swimming properly down at depth almost instantly...

A short note to anyone who thinks they can't do this, go out and try it - you might be amazed, presentation casts are not difficult, they are just alterations made after the cast (well apart from a couple shown there), the hardest part is getting a nicely formed loop from your cast - the fancy looking stuff is the easy bit  :lol:

Bloody great camera work in that video, I wish all fly casting videos looked like that!

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on August 16, 2010, 06:22:24 AM
Bloody great camera work in that video, I wish all fly casting videos looked like that!

It is good, great camera work, entertaining but not very instructional.

Malcolm

Quote from: whinging pom on August 15, 2010, 12:01:27 AM
His name is Carl McNeil, he also did these video a few years ago that you may have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bumcast#p/a/u/2/_BpK4mZZTF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnfKbKHnEN8&feature=player_embedded

The second one makes me want to weep.It all makes me feel like i shouldnt be let out with a fly rod! Cant imagine how I manage to ever catch trout.

He did the once in a blue moon vids about the mouse year, his site is:-
http://www.onthefly.co.nz/pages/clips.html

... My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Dear Mister Pom. To the members of the Glasgow Casting these are of course rather okey dokey sort of casts. You really need to see Hare's Ears double corkscrew or Alan's snap zee into voodoo into hauled roll aerial mend if you think these are good.

Sadly I doubt if that guy quite passes the entrance test. Shame really, he seemed quite personable in a colonial way.   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

whinging pom

Quote from: Malcolm on August 18, 2010, 10:42:25 PM
Dear Mister Pom. To the members of the Glasgow Casting these are of course rather okey dokey sort of casts. You really need to see Hare's Ears double corkscrew or Alan's snap zee into voodoo into hauled roll aerial mend if you think these are good.

Sadly I doubt if that guy quite passes the entrance test. Shame really, he seemed quite personable in a colonial way.  

Dear malcolm
I will not pretend that I have a clue what your on about
As the water i fish is as wide as a bath tub in places in places my biggest problem is over shooting, A hares ear double corkscrew sounds grand but alas Alans snap zee voodooo doodle etc etc would probably end up catching rabbits in the next meadow, or do some serious damage to the farmers potato crop.
I think I used to be able to cast once upon a time but it could just be a romantic notion,  now i just flap the rod forward and point at the spot I hope it will go. (the Blind faith and ''F*** it''! cast)
I have long convinced myself that the total lack of any loop is because there aint enough line out to form one. ... I do so hope that's the truth of the matter.
I have noticed from the shadows of disgrace that some people call the Fly Forum that you Scottish anglers certainly talk the talk of being a lot more technically adept, and with things like the Glasgow casting club why shouldn't you be. Your very lucky to have such enthusiasm on your doorstep.
I hope they get a video camera in action down there so we can see what on earth you talking about one day,
Till then i will have to watch the ego of the antipodeans on You tube and wonder what the hell is the point of running up a stream and casting at the same time......... Maybe he heard Fred coming up stream!

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on August 18, 2010, 11:25:34 PM

i'm heartened that you forgot Scott, the youngest casting instuctor in the uk, perhaps world, with 80' loops, and Andrew being the world spey distance champion,
and you know fine well that i struggle with a water haul out of a snap zee, but i can give you treble eliptical corkscrew :lol:

or your very own eighty foot water hauled roll cast :8)

I'm heartened that you put me in!  :D Nice to get a mention. I need to get out and use that rod, need to do some improving - I want my casting to be at near perfect level so if I can be bothered to take the FFF test late Jan/early Feb I won't have any problems, might have forgotten the theory though!  :lol:  Although i've got bugger all time to go wave a fly rod at the moment  :x

WP - You're very right though, the GCC is pretty darn awesome, great bunch of guys, great learning environment and now all the regulars are at a dam good standard (probably fantastic now, I haven't seen them in 2 months!) - what more could you want? Actually the council will probably stick rainbows in the pond for us if we tell them it would be a great environmental benefit to the local wildlife, then we'd have existing fish and no-one could say it's all wool and nonsense. Well maybe it would be nonsense  :makefun :makefun

Upon further reflection, I like the idea of introducing rainbows into the pond as it would make a very real life fishing situation where we could hone our fly placement to a t. Just think about it, we sight fish to cruising fish, once spotted you get yourself into a casting position where you are sure to attract one of these stupid, suicidal rainbows, you then cast the perfect cast to the fish and with a perfectly executed curve or mend you move the fly to a spot where the fish will not take it. Hey presto - amazing line control will develop!  :lol: :makefun

Ok that's enough pish talking, sorry it's been a while!

PS - on a serious note, I'm going to see if I can do the tuck cast!

whinging pom

Bad idea .... you guys would start fishing if there were fish in there!
If you need a bit of moving target and realism, Maybe you could get Alan a remote controlled boat and paint it like a trout then give him a steam boat Willy costume to wear, He could then patrol round the margins.
The thought of Alan  cruising around Glasgows parks in his steam boat willy costume is quite uncomfortable though!

PS tried the tuck cast which with a 0 wt double taper doesnt achieve that dramatic downward hinge, and with a wieghted nymph
would be easier, as Getting to hit the water with a fluffy dry before the line is nigh on......As for targeting with it!!

scotty9

Hehe, interesting you should say that..... there is actually a model boating club that go along on a sunday afternoon, we may have to ask for their assisstance! Incedentally one morning earlier in the year I hit one man's boat mast with a #10/11 spey line - I was amazed and rather thankful I didn't break it!  :lol:

I do like your idea for Alan's costume!

Go To Front Page