News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting

Started by Brian Mcg, March 17, 2011, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

Out Casting for a wee while trying out a couple of lines  with Davefromtheattic last night.
When I was watching him casting(beautifully) that old chestnut came to mind " i don't need to cast that far i catch fish anyway" Used by people who can't cast usually.
I had been at a Demo at the weekend and I remebered an anology Andrew Toft used it went somthing like this but this ain't verbatim so if I get a wee bit wrong sorry Andrew.
"Anglers who can cast to the other side of the stream,sometimes catch fish on the Dangle. Those who can't never catch a fish over there."
You don't have to be able to cast but it helps if you can.
Season is upon us now so I have to go Fishing. Bye

Brian

Wildfisher

Lot of truth in that. I certainly catch loads  of fish, but I reckon I would catch a whole lot more  by improving my casting.  The standard of casting in Scotland  is very  poor  probably because it's mainly stockie bashing and loch fishing most anglers do where casting skills play a much smaller part. In river fishing it's far more important. Casting  clubs that meet regularly  are a great thing, the results of the Glasgow club speak for themselves.  Casting is not the only part of fly fishing but it is an important part.

Wildfisher

We will have to agree to differ on this one I'm afraid Mark.   :D   I am not setting myself as an example, my own casting could be far better, I am  simply repeating  the words of a long established and much respected instructor and I can't find much to disagree with  in what he said. One of the greatest drivers and motivators  in acquiring  greater skill is need. It does not matter if you are a football player, a musician or a fly fisher.

The main thing however is enjoyment, if you are happy with what you are doing then there isn't really a problem. I think as far as I'm concerned that's part of it. The effort required in getting better or the impracticality of it is probably  not justified by  the extra success it might bring. Law of diminishing returns I suppose. That said if there was a club like the Glasgow one up here I would attend.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on March 17, 2011, 01:06:10 PM
but this is not always that easy till you see someone else to it and you realise that it can be done.

That's so true and I would add also being able to see the effect of not being able to do it. There is still the  cost / benefit relationship to consider however. 

Malcolm

Casting clubs are at their best for learning things that you cannot do. I won't allow any mucking about with things that work for me no matter how technically incorrect they may be. There is no benefit.

On the other hand they are great for watching what people can do and attempting to copy real experts. In my case the biggest change has been the use of the double hander where I moved into the "competent" category by watching my betters and asking questions. I wouldn't have done that in a fishing situation - I'd have been too busy trying to catch fish.

Similarly I spent months at the club doing nothing but casting left handed, a frustrating business I can tell you! Again something I wouldn't have done on the river but which at the end of the day will have considerable benefit.

Some casting is quite separate from fishing. During the last 3 months I've been trying out distance casting and making big improvements but I can't for the life of me think what benefit it will bestow on my normal fishing.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: buzz on March 17, 2011, 03:34:01 PM
Great casting does not make you a better fisherman

Perhaps not, but poor casting can make you a less successful one. I speak from experience.   :lol:  I agree casting  is just one element, but it is  a very important one. In some situations  it's less important than others, like loch fishing from a drifting boat for example. This is one reason why the standard of casting in Scotland  is not high, it quite simply does not have to be to catch fish in most  situations. When you can see how fish react it is literally an eye opener.  Sight fishing requires a vastly higher standard of casting - to  big spooky wild trout that is - not demented stockies. I have lost count  how many times I have been fishing with Alex  on some river in New Zealand  and have given up on a fish  simply because my casting was not good enough. His is and he gets the fish most times.

davefromtheattic

Quote from: buzz on March 17, 2011, 03:34:01 PM
Great casting does not make you a better fisherman, a multitude of things do with casting being one element.

I think the reason I've become so engrossed in fly fishing is because of the many elements that combine to make you a good fisherman. Last season taught me that I know next to nothing about it, although luckily caught fish. I just decided to work on one thing at a time and got out on the grass and got my overhead casting whipped into resonable shape. I want to fish some rivers this season so started working on rolls and speys. Now the season is upon us it's time to look at entomology and reading water. Surely this is the order in which these things must be learned. Like Fred said, he knew where the fish was, I'm sure had deduced an appropriate fly to have on and had an appropriate leader setup, but if you can't put the fly where you want it in the way you want it the rest is useless.

Wildfisher

Another thing that comes to mind - I used to think that the fact I can cover a rising fish and catch it more often than not made me a reasonable caster. Well, maybe, but quite honestly I have since discovered that you can get away with murder with fish that are engrossed on feeding, sometimes it's difficult to spook them even if you try. Not always, but very often. In other words you can often get away with pretty indifferent  casting if fish are feeding hard.

haresear

Quote from: buzz on March 17, 2011, 04:08:49 PM
Talking of Alex, hope his bum is better.

I bet you he is at the edge of his seat reading this.

I'm currently starving myself and 'enjoying' drinking copious amounts of "Kleen Prep" which means I'm highly likely to be on the edge of another seat shortly :shock:

Meanwhile, back at the thread...

I'm sure we all agree that good casting is just one facet of the compleat angler. There is more to being a successful angler than just the ability to cast well. Good observational skills and an open mind are two examples.

The good caster scores not only when distance is required. He can handle wind much better than the guy who casts less well in ideal conditions.
How to cast into a wind and how to make big directional changes are common questions at the Glasgow Casting Club. The first of those is an essential skill for all bank loch fisheres in my view. Who wants to be restricted to just fishing the bank with the wind behind him? Likewise, being able to change direction quickly and accurately puts a lot of extra fish on the bank for the good caster on river or loch.

As Alan said, sometimes you need to see what is possible by witnessing it first hand, before recognising how learning a new technique can help you.
One example of that is the circle cast. Magnus Angus showed me that one a few years back and now I use it very often, especially when nymphing. It is safe, quick and easy if you can already roll cast.
The snake roll is another example of a cast that has revolutionised my fishing. Eion Fairgrieve showed me that one first and I'm glad he did.  The point is, by seeing these two casts performed, I saw how I could use them in my day to day fishing.

As for distance casting. I'm not really into extreme distance casting with tackle I wouldn't fish with, but I do like to be able to put out a long line if needed when fishing, so I tend to practice casting at distance with my 'fishing' rods and lines.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Brian Mcg

I should have said in my OP That  fishing/Casting was relative(adjective) Well for all that Casting today,never turned a fish.Big water never helped,neither did Stewart. I should really learn to tie flies :(. Of to Wales for a couple of Days the river is meant to be low :D
You know debate is a good way to learn as well,so we are even learning when we are arguing :P
Happy Birthday Mark.

Go To Front Page