News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting

Started by Brian Mcg, March 17, 2011, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefromtheattic

Aye, happy birthday, didn't realise.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on March 17, 2011, 05:47:14 PM
Who wants to be restricted to just fishing the bank with the wind behind him?

Wind behind -    the same long term and respected instructor who made the general comment  about Scottish fly casting standards also  noted that most Scottish fly fishers who boat fish, drifting with the wind,  are pretty decent single haulers. If they were not they would have their line warped around their necks more often.

That is just so true and it's something you learn instinctively as a loch-style boat fisher. It's the need point  again.  I was single hauling 30 years ago - probably before it was called single hauling  :lol:. No one showed me, I didn't read about it. I just did it beacuse I had to.  After I returned from my first New Zealand trip more "aware"  I started watching other angler's casting  a lot more closely. Low and behold I discovered pretty much all were just as bad as I am and had  more or less the same faults.

I know exactly where the problems lie  with my casting, doing something about it after 40 years is not easy. Part of the problem is lack of motivation, because I catch lots of fish and I do because the fish here are a lot easier to catch, partly because there are  just so many of them in the water.  Solo casting practice bores the arse off me, I really need the environment of a Glasgow-style  casting club. I am not alone. When Alberto  posted here about starting the Glasgow  club he mentioned that one of his motivations was bouncing ideas off / getting feedback  from fellow anglers. I understand that.  

The Glasgow club has produced some outstanding results. Alex could cast before, but  have  you seen Alan cast?  And Scott is just astonishing.

I guess I'll just have to stumble on!  :lol:

Brian Mcg

You Have an open invitation to join us any weekend you want :P

Brian

Wildfisher

Thanks Brian, it's a wee bit far for a regular thing, but I appreciate the offer.  :D

Wildfisher

True smurf, and many  of the hell holes up this way have similar arrangements. That however does not alter the fact that farm raised fish  associate people with feeding time while wild fish associate the same with danger. Arguably he splashier you can cast  the better when stockie bashing. The natural food of the stockie, the sandeel pellet,   causes quite a commotion when  delivered  by the bucket load.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on March 18, 2011, 12:44:18 AM
i had to ponder an earlier comment, that casting is perhaps a lesser component of catching fish than the mysterious collection of knowledge that we call 'fishing',
it occurred to me that a fly fisher can go a long while catching very little and not realise he is sending every fish in his path hurtling for safety, in a country where you dont usually see the fishes reaction its easy to think your cast is acceptable and never think to improve, it is maybe for good reason that places where the fish are visible produce good casters
presentation is often cited as terribly important but fishing where you cant see the fish, few respect the astonishing power the lift has to clear vast areas of fish, the lift can be a more violent movement than the arrival, yet rarely considered, more so when you cant see what your scaring, is this a casting skill or a fishing skill?

Being able to see what's happening can be both exciting and dispiriting! Always educational though. You are right about the lift, ripping the line off the water and spraying the surface with droplets really is not good.  :D  Fishing blind can be really exciting too though in some ways pulling unseen fish up out of nowhere can be a mysterious  and rewarding experience.

Getting back to casting I keep coming back to the concept of need driving effort and performance. If you can catch fish being an average or even a poor caster way bother trying to improve?  It might be you don't even realise  you are a poor caster? It seems to me that in the UK good casting  = distance and very little else.   That may be a need thing too of course born on big reservoirs or lochs where the fish have been driven way out of range of the average caster or is it just knob waving?

Teither

Quote from: Alan on March 18, 2011, 12:44:18 AM
is this a casting skill or a fishing skill?

Alan,
       Both, surely ?
T

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on March 18, 2011, 06:17:57 PM
is that scathing? who cares i find it very time consuming and dull.

I don't' think it matters. Distance casting is not fishing but that does not make it a less valid form of knob waving than any other. Seriously  it's probably fun if you are into that kind of thing. To each his own.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on March 18, 2011, 06:45:13 PM
fun for some perhaps, but its less valid in my eyes than learning to present to all given distances, which is a surer test of skill and develops very useful judgement skills, distance casting in its present form is like target shooting without the target..

im off on one :lol:

I could not  agree more  and if I lived in an area with a  casting club I'd be out there with the best of them practising regularly.

The key to the  success and seriousness of any such organisation is in the last  word of the above sentence. If it's not regular  it cannot be taken with any  seriousness and does not deserve to be.

Fishtales

When I'm fishing I'm not thinking about my casting and when I'm casting I'm not thinking about my fishing. There are times though when fishing that I have to think about my casting. The one situation is distance casting to a rising fish where I have to get the timing right to get the distance and the distance right to get it in the area of the rising fish and I don't have time for any practice cast first :) I am talking about 20 yds or so, near the limit of my ability :) If I don't make the cast I will try again or just go back to fishing until the next time. It doesn't annoy me that I didn't make the cast only that I didn't rise/catch the fish :shock: There are also times when the conditions are right but the fishing is slow when I will go into casting practice for a while but I soon get fed up with that and go back to fishing :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page