News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Simple skills you are missing

Started by Malcolm, August 17, 2011, 10:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

The Perth Casting thread got me thinking: Alan said that people should have a vague idea of what they want to achieve. So I thiought it might be an idea to put down a few basic faults that we have: I'll start off.

1. I've never been able to cast 3 or 4 flies - i.e traditional loch style - without getting regular tangles. I got round it by giving up and now only fish two fly casts. I do believe that more flies would make a difference at times.

2. A similar but different problem: Heavy nymphs. A standard technique is long leader, very heavy dropper and a light tail fly. Same problem - tangles. I persevere as it is successful but I wish I could stop the tangles.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Brian Mcg

Fishing with a Salmon Rod Left hand Up(I'm right handed) :(
I aim to change that as this year I am thinking will be my last as a Troutfisher :?

Brian

Highlander

QuoteA similar but different problem: Heavy nymphs. A standard technique is long leader, very heavy dropper and a light tail fly. Same problem - tangles. I persevere as it is successful but I wish I could stop the tangles
An old rule I have stuck with since a laddie is that you never fish with a light or indeed a small fly below a heavier or larger fly. Always the heavier/larger on the tail.
On the three/four flies, You fish Leven at night & like me you develop a way of casting that you will not see in books. Well a traditional cast is something like that but not so exaggerated. Oh you whilst you get the odd tangle we all do it does cut it down.
My "problem" is fishing, nee casting in  flat calm & casting over my left side with a double handed rod.
A good caster to my mind is someone that learns how to adapt to different conditions. not something that can be taught on a field or a pond but comes with experience. I watch people all the time & can quickly gauge if they know what they are doing. I watched Bob Church many years back & whilst a well known name with many strings to his bow could not cast to save himself. Best caster I ever saw apart from an old man I watched on the Clyde one day was Charles McLaren of Altnaharra  now he was really good. Peter Anderson was very good too & his fall from grace was a major disapointment for this wee boy.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

scotty9

Quote from: Highlander on August 17, 2011, 11:23:34 PM
A good caster to my mind is someone that learns how to adapt to different conditions. not something that can be taught on a field or a pond but comes with experience.

Because weather conditions and water conditions are different on the casting pond compared to where we fish?

On the thread front, I could list lots and lots of things I want to fine tune...

paulr

Malcolm

Highlander,

Unfortunately the light fly below the heavy fly works better as far as the fish in rivers are concerned - at least for me.

Alan,

Quote from: Alan on August 18, 2011, 10:58:47 AM
i dont think he's heard that he fell from grace.

I can assure you that he has!
To jaw like this

Fishtales

Quote from: Alan on August 18, 2011, 01:33:13 PM
i'd love to hear the rumours, he is no angel and not the type to worry about what people say so he is quite open about things, few of the stories i have heard resemble the truth,

the truth is worse :lol:

It has followed him around for twenty years and it wont go away 'till the generation that remember it dies off. It means very little now but was a big thing amongst anglers at the time.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

River Chatter

FFS you lot, don't keep us in suspenders!  Or is that the rumour?  :lol:

haresear

I'm shite at every cast off my wrong (left) shoulder.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Still doesn't work for me Ardbeg - that's my usual cast for two flies. Let's be honest 99% of the time it's OK and the other 1% generates a tangle that takes 5 minutes to sort out. I know what the problem is - I generate far too much line speed and then compensate: 99% of the time compensating works. One of the idiosyncrasies of self-taught casting.
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page