News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

BFCC Glasgow

Started by Malcolm, September 11, 2011, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Torridon it ain't and fishing related it ain't but quite a number of the WFF were at Strathclyde Police Headquarters today: Buster1980, Aweman, Scotty9, Blanefishing and a few others whose forum names I don't know. We should really have been arrested for our stupidity. The conditions were terrible for casting and all the distances were a long way down on what would normally have been expected.

Most of us from the WFF were complete novices and some of the tackle would have no fishing application that I can think of: it's just too powerful. There was a whole load of tackle there that we could borrow and I for one made full use of it: 5 competitions and 5 lots of borrowed tackle: 5 weight, 7 weight 9 weight, and T38 (probably about AFTM 14 or so). Then an extremely powerful double handed outfit called the T120: I've never held anything even close to the power of this outfit: The 18 foot competition speycasting rods (which are themselves about AFTM20 in trout fishing terms) are delicate little wands by comparison.

Anyway a few pictures
Alberto (Blanefishing)
[attachimg=1]

David Norwich (in the yellow jacket)
[attachimg=2]

Aweman
[attachimg=3]

I think this guy (Hamish) used to be a member on here
[attachimg=4]
Alberto, Ben Dixon, Mick Bell (Bloke rods), Mike Heritage
[attachimg=5]

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Looks good if not a little weird Malcolm seeing people lined up casting on  a rugby pitch!  :lol:

Did the weather affect the turnout? 

What was your trophy for?  C'mon, don't be modest!    :D

Malcolm

I don't think the weather did affect the turnout there were loads of people there.

I won the T120 heavyweight category with a cast of 189 feet with a couple of others including Scott close behind. Mike Marshall who is still a British casting record holder for the 7 weight actually put a cast about 20 feet further than me in a demonstration so rather a hollow victory!

I think people would agree that it was a bit of a lottery and in quite a few categories very competent casters simply couldn't get a cast away. At the same time there were a couple of freakishly long casts possibly when the wind dropped momentarily allowing a decent back cast then gusted on the forward cast. 
To jaw like this

Brian Mcg

Guess it does look a little weird but if you separate the Casting from fishing it becomes easier to understand as This type of casting is a sport in its own right. The passion was there for all to see in weather that you wouldn't put a bucket out in but everybody to a man/woman looked to be really enjoying it and I never saw anyone leaving early.
It confirmed to me that I will never be a Competition Distance Caster, I couldn't dedicate the time it takes to become as good as those on show.
I certainly learned a thing or two and to me it was well worth the trip from Fife.
One thing I noticed was that Scott Louden casts skillfully and with consummate ease that was lovely to watch.
I noticed on another thread the gcc was looking to bring someone in to do a demo Look no further you have the person already there.

Brian

haresear

That's some cast Malcolm. Very well done in winning your trophy :D

Scott is indeed a fine and very tidy caster. Considering he has only been fly fishing for what? 3 years or so (?) he is brilliant. It just goes to show what can be achieved with some tuition and a whole lot of dedicated practice.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Great day out, thoroughly enjoyed myself. As far as the casting instead of fishing goes, I had absolutely no qualms - I'm fished out after spending 10 days doing nothing but.... although Alan's fish does look a bit better than your average troot  :D

It was great to meet a lot of people I have previously spoken to but never yet and to meet others once again. Lots of great casting on display too.

Another worthy mention is William McGuire that some of you may know - he picked up joint first place in the #9 weight competition.

Malcolm I've found out that the T120 rod is actually a 3.5lb test curve carp rod  :lol: Mike hit 212' with it  :shock:

It should be noted that Malcolm achieved that distance from never having picked up one of these outfits before, seriously good casting. I took no shame in mentioning to him though that I was only 3' behind and I will be looking to sneak in front next time  :lol: :lol: :lol: We had a good laugh with that! That's the thing with casting, it's very competitive and at the same time great banter between everyone. Even as people were casting there is a bit of banter.

I got some brilliant instruction that I hope will help me on my way, it's bloody addictive this casting stuff.

My casting was quite entertaining on the day. I cast the #5 23' further than the #7 weight, although there was a serious issue with that #7 setup I think. T38 was average, T120 blew me away - first casts about 80' then I put an extra 100' on it  :lol: Totally different to cast than normal lines. All round across everyone there was some brilliant casting given the weather. Especially in the #5, to straighten enough line into that wind to make a cast over 100' was seriously good going. It's happening again next year on the 9th September, if I'm around I certainly look forward to it.

And finally thanks for the kind words Brian and Alex.

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on September 12, 2011, 05:00:31 PM
And finally thanks for the kind words Brian and Alex.

Don't get too carried away. They could be disingenuous sycophantic wankers.  :lol:

Just kidding of course. You are the best caster I have seen Scott. Don't let it all  go to your head and make you stop trying or you could  end up like the Scottish fitbaw team.  :lol:

Malcolm

Agreed Scott. It was great fun. I think it's mostly about technique but sheer strength is important especially with the heavier classes. I think a lot of progress, in these heavier classes especially, could be made with even a little bit of practice. One of the BFCC lads who helped me at the start told me my technique left a lot of room for improvement - again in a jovial, bantering way and I didn't take any offence but the message was clear. Not surprising when the first time you pick up a piece of equipment is when you have 3 minutes to make your competition casts!

I don't know if anyone else used them but not having anything remotely suitable I used the BFCC club rods for all the events and I just loved them - brilliant, solid rods that I would be happy to fish fish on any river and they didn't seem to me to be very fast. Nothing like your TCX or Hydros Scott. They suited me anyway although they are clearly far from cutting edge casting rods. They were Grand Prix rods sold by Mike Marshall. 
To jaw like this

scotty9

Strength applied at the right time is pretty useful, definitely :8)

I don't think I tried one of those rods. I used a TCR for the #5 which was probably my best casts of the competition, that crappy bloke setup for the #7 and whatever the #9 rod used by most was. Maybe that was a grand prix?

Brian Mcg

Scott you are not alone in thinking there was something up with the 7#. I think I cast the 5# 20 ft further :?.
The 9# was a bit of a beast but I think with practice you could get used to it and it would be the tool for that sort of stuff.
I had a shot of the t120 earlier and I pulled a muscle in my neck and in the back of my leg so it was to much for me tbo.

Brian

Go To Front Page