News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Guides and Instructors Tax Investigation

Started by Wildfisher, November 05, 2011, 01:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

QuoteIf he's as successful as his marketing suggests I'd imagine he does report it.

If he does good luck to him. He will be one of the few then. Why do you think guides & gillies prefer cash, no insist on cash.
QuoteAssuming he is breaking the law and not declaring income
There are thousands of people breaking the law daily.
The wee electrician painter or plumber that does weekend homers, useing his companies materials.
They declare their extra income, I think not. The wee car wash that you use to clean your car, they declare their income? The Power Seller on E Bay? No half of Britain is on the take if they can get away with it.
I do not see it any different for some guides instructors & gillies.
Rant over
I rest my case.
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

scotty9

Quote from: Highlander on November 06, 2011, 10:05:59 PM
If he does good luck to him. He will be one of the few then. Why do you think guides & gillies prefer cash, no insist on cash.There are thousands of people breaking the law daily.
The wee electrician painter or plumber that does weekend homers, useing his companies materials.
They declare their extra income, I think not. The wee car wash that you use to clean your car, they declare their income? The Power Seller on E Bay? No half of Britain is on the take if they can get away with it.
I do not see it any different for some guides instructors & gillies.
Rant over
I rest my case.
:roll:

I'm well aware people do... should just be careful about what you post about particular people. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Fishtales

You might find this interesting.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/e24.pdf

They revue all these things on a regular basis and it seems the area of guides and instructors is the one this time.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Fishtales

They aren't targets they just happen to be the ones being checked at this time. As a postie we were checked a number of years ago and they estimated that we got an average of £600 a year in tips and that we would all be re-assessed. Aye right :) The union and Royal Mail both put in a protest and it was withdrawn and we never heard any more about it.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on November 07, 2011, 10:01:34 AM
500 million quid in bonuses for RBS this xmas and your local gillie that pocketed that 30 quid is a target, aye.

Last year the coalition government  clearly stated they were intending clamping down on tax evasion.  Mr Cameron wishes to both raise tax take from the easy target Joe Bloggs  and abolish the 50% rate for his high flying pals.

Inchlaggan

The banks lent money they did not have (nor the capital to support) to borrowers who had neither the means to repay, nor the capital to to  justify the loan.
The borrowers did not repay, their assets were significantly less than their borrowings, thus the banks would fail.
If the banks fail so do governments.
So now the governments print or borrow money they do not have (nor the capital to support), to support the banks.
Those who facilitate this process (the banks) charge commission on the transactions they arrange.
For the sake of argument let us put this commission at 0.0001% of the transaction, and award the individual responsible with 0.00001% of this commission as a bonus, 1p bonus for every £10,000,000 transacted. Reasonable?
On that basis the bonuses payable to RBS staff would be in excess of £5,000,000,000 rather than £500,000,000 (£5B rather than £500M).
Money (as issued by banks) is simply promissary notes, and should be supported by gold, capital or production. The basis of capitalism.
A recent estimate of the total money in circulation (the exchange of which will attract a fee) at, well guess, how many times more than is supported by capital.

"we're all doomed"
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Robbie

Virgin Money is buying Northern Rock: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15769886

Tax payers injected £1.4bn into Northern Rock.
Virgin Money buys Northern Rock for £747m plus potentially another £280m over the next few years.
Tax payer looses out by somewhere  between £400m and £650m.

No wonder the economy is in trouble!!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Robbie on November 17, 2011, 03:44:25 PM

got to look after the bankers.

they are essential after all.

Where would we be without them?   :roll:

:mus11;

you have to laugh otherwise you'd cry.......

scotty9

Quote from: Robbie on November 17, 2011, 03:44:25 PM
Virgin Money is buying Northern Rock: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15769886

Tax payers injected £1.4bn into Northern Rock.
Virgin Money buys Northern Rock for £747m plus potentially another £280m over the next few years.
Tax payer looses out by somewhere  between £400m and £650m.

It might be a loss on paper but without more information it's impossible to see the full picture. It could be if this sale wasn't made, the tax payer money wouldnt be recouped for years, perhaps never. It could be this is a move to get cash, entirely possible given the situation.

Fred - should remember that the money was put in to save savers, not bankers.

Wildfisher

Savers money was guaranteed by government up  to £35K at the time. This has since been raised to  £85K per person, per authorised institution. This money  was injected to tackle a haemorrhage in the banking system that could have had far worse effects, I have no argument against that. However, if it or any other bank had lent the money, they would want it back, in full, with interest, no matter  what it had been used for.

Mr Branson and his ilk are in clover, it's the rest of us that are in a pickle. UK tax payers shafted yet again by the now acknowledged irresponsible practices of "bankers"  in  a business that prospered for 150 years as a responsibly run mutual and collapsed after 10 years  as a "bank".

Meanwhile the obscene bonus culture  continues while the government seems to be focussing on chasing torn-arsed fishermen who might be making 50 quid on the side by taking someone down the Clyde for a day.  You really couldn't make it up.   :roll:

Go To Front Page