News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Overloaded

Started by scotty9, April 16, 2012, 05:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Mike Connor on April 17, 2012, 09:31:09 PM
The difference is that rods made using high modulus fibre can be thinner and lighter for the same performance.

That's pretty much what Mick Bell (Bloke) told me.

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on April 18, 2012, 01:12:03 AM
indeed, although IM6 is not exactly low modulus, some of the best rods in the world are made out of it, the weight of the blank does affect the recovery rate and damping, not to everyones taste but once you get used to it, you do use it, and its hard to go back to what becomes a slightly duller stop,

the problem is finding a rod made from a low modulus carbon that is good, custom builds aside i don't know any that i would pick out,
i always feel people have a downer on the expensive rather than the actual rod, everyone hates expensive rods, a 250 quid rod is just as good a fishing tool is heard a lot, if they were all 250 quid everyone would say the 600 quid ones were great.

That's fair comment.  I don't hate expensive rods, I have quite a few! I don't want to use rods that wont do what I want them to do, or are more susceptible to damage than others, regardless of what they cost. I do begrudge paying extortionate prices for something I know cost ten dollars ex factory.

It is actually hard to find a "bad" rod at all nowadays.  Even the cheapies are usually very good.  Of course there are an awful lot that wont suit.  Rods are cheap mass produced articles, ( at least the blanks are), the prices of various rods have little bearing on their actual quality.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Go To Front Page