News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Marking Fly Lines

Started by Wildfisher, April 17, 2012, 09:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Anyone mark where the head ends on their WF lines?

Fadpasser

Thats something I tried for a while but found I ended up ignoring the marker as was to busy watching the water, just another fad to be passed.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Fadpasser on April 17, 2012, 10:29:54 AM
just another fad to be passed.

There is certainly no shortage of those. This French nymphing  (as I understand it, basically bait fishing with flies and driven by the compy crowd)  appears to be the latest fad out there.  :D

Malcolm

I marked one line when I took  an interest for a while in distance casting about 15 months ago. I've often thought though particularly for newcomers that a mark at the end of the head would be useful.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: Malcolm on April 17, 2012, 11:10:01 AM
I marked one line when I took  an interest for a while in distance casting about 15 months ago. I've often thought though particularly for newcomers that a mark at the end of the head would be useful.

Depends if they can reach it  :lol: For an intermediate I think it's definitely worth doing as sometimes you find someone struggling to cast and it turns out they have the head a good bit outside the tip ring, they don't haul and their cast just doesn't work. It definitely can be a good thing.

I used to mark most of my lines, now I can't be arsed. Two tone lines are good.

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on April 17, 2012, 09:27:30 AM
Anyone mark where the head ends on their WF lines?

Yep, thats the bit where it's tied to my backing! :)

TL
MC

haresear

I had various distances marked on the line I used for my instructor's assessment - it made sense at the time, but I don't need that now.

In fishing, I don't need to mark the head, I can just feel for it.

I do think like Malcolm does, that it is a useful aid for beginners or for people used to double tapers who have moved over to WF lines.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: buster1980 on April 17, 2012, 07:29:41 PM
Fred have you tried French nymphing? Works like feck and is another tool to use when fishing the conditions.

Never tried it. Worms work like feck too.  :lol:

zeolite

Quote from: admin on April 17, 2012, 07:35:12 PM
Never tried it. Worms work like feck too.  :lol:

They certainly do and are great fun in the right conditions!

never heard of this French nymphing. Link anyone?
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Wildfisher

Quote from: zeolite on April 17, 2012, 09:50:20 PM
never heard of this French nymphing

It's a bit like it's Scottish counterpart,   but gets an additional   40% EU subsidy in order to preserve the traditional French rural  nymphing way of life.   :lol:

Go To Front Page