News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Marking Fly Lines

Started by Wildfisher, April 17, 2012, 09:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Quote from: zeolite on April 17, 2012, 09:50:20 PM
They certainly do and are great fun in the right conditions!

never heard of this French nymphing. Link anyone?

Here's a video;

https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/#/gallery/detail/gallery-132-french-nymphing-movie

TL
MC

Wildfisher

TBH all these fancy methods are little different from what has come before. French nymphing no doubt catches fish, but  is basically upstream wet fly, north country style, with no fly line. I'd hate to be stuck with that method on a typical Scottish river with the usual downstream gale. Great for benign France or the Czech Republic in high summer,  less useful in our crap climate at home I think. Like all methods it has its place for sure, however  I recall Mac  (East Wind)  had two cracking  fish this season using conventional tactics while his French knickering  chum blanked. I used to fish like that using small worms instead of flies when I was a lad. It was deadly assuming you could get the worm to stay on. .  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on April 18, 2012, 10:07:11 AM
it seems we have stretched everything to fit fly fishing, maybe to stay within the rules of permits.

This is exactly what has happened.  Using a long rod and a fixed spool reel might be more efficient. I don't knock these methods, live and let live, if fishing C+R what's the difference anyway? However,  to my mind,  the thing that defines fly fishing is not the use of flies, it's fly casting. Others will no doubt disagree and that's fair enough.  :D

Malcolm

Alan,

French nymphing is superlight  - very long leaders and small nymphs. The leader length is up to 10 metres. There is a commercial leader available called Camou. I tried it a couple of years ago and put a report on here about it. I had a couple of seatrout and a brownie on the Endrick but it's not a technique I liked. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: admin on April 18, 2012, 10:15:00 AM
However,  to my mind,  the thing that defines fly fishing is not the use of flies, it's fly casting. Others will no doubt disagree and that's fair enough.  :D

Me too, that and the fact that you impart action/control the line by your hand on the line rather than through a reel. It feels a bit more engaged to me. I still enjoy spinning for certain fish but those reasons are the main ones for fly fishing most of the time.

scotty9

Wildfisher

Quote from: buster1980 on April 18, 2012, 07:13:19 PM
You should come along to Alan, you would fit right in :gay4

are tights allowed or is it French knickers only?   :lol:

zeolite

Interesting debate. Here in Wyoming with the almost constant wind, going ultralight is a non-starter. The czech method works because of the heavy nymphs to lob into the wind.
Once I get to the creeks though, I hope to go lighter in the more sheltered spots.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Go To Front Page