News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Roll Casting !

Started by Black-Don, April 28, 2012, 12:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

O.M.G. , some advice needed on casting. So, be gentle and keep the technical pish to a minimum please   :D

Someone suggested I learn to roll cast for wooded rivers and overgrown banks which I can already do with some efficiency as long as I keep the length of line out in relation to rod length within a certain range.

Can anyone advise what a reasonable rod length to line out ratio would be for a non expert but competent roll cast ?

I'm no doubt about to find out that my definition of efficient as far as roll casting goes is going to be sadly deluded  :lol:

Malcolm

Donald,

You can cast with almost any length of line out of any rod - you can double haul just the same as with an overhead cast. If you are specifically rollcasting though you might want to up the line by one or two sizes. I'd suggest you start with no more than 20 feet to start.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: Malcolm on April 28, 2012, 12:17:38 AM
Donald,

You can cast with almost any length of line out of any rod - you can double haul just the same as with an overhead cast. If you are specifically rollcasting though you might want to up the line by one or two sizes. I'd suggest you start with no more than 20 feet to start.

That's all there is to it in terms of the line. Don't get hung up on rules as Malcolm says, just get out there and play around with it and you'll work out what works for you and what doesn't. In my limited experience of small stream fishing I've found being able to cast in any plane on either side much more useful than roll casting mind you.

Go To Front Page