News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Loading

Started by Wildfisher, May 08, 2012, 11:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I don't visit fly forums often, far too much going on here, but this thread was brought to my attention by one of our  members and is interesting.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/casting/244370-rod-loading.html

scotty9

There's quite a few things that come out of that thread but I probably shouldn't discuss them in public!  :)

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on May 08, 2012, 12:13:47 PM
There's quite a few things that come out of that thread but I probably shouldn't discuss them in public!  :)

Really!   :shock:

Great thread though eh?  All you ever needed to know about rod loading  and some!   

Inchlaggan

Gave up at the graphs, only so much Higher Physics 1975 that I can remember.....
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

scotty9

Totally useless! Some of it makes sense if you really want to go in depth about it but really all you have to know was said right at the start - it bends  :8)

People should focus on creating a loop, the loop is what makes fly casting work and gets your fly out there, not focus on rod loading. It draws attention to the wrong thing. In an example of teaching someone to make a cast or someone figuring it out for themselves - you would not focus on bending the rod, you focus on making a cast that makes a loop. It's a simple change of focus that makes all the difference.

Teach someone what to do with a rod to make a loop, not how to bend it. In fact I think you can do a pretty good job of explaining fly casting without even using the term rod loading. You only need to show that certain things are possible because the rod bends. How it bends, how much it should or shouldn't bend etc doesn't need to be there without getting into geekery. My thoughts anyway  :)

- -

The main problem the FFF casting forum has is that some folks do ask basic questions and seem to be genuinely looking for help but they get three million wrong answers, three million right answers and a whole load of in betweens. They then are probably even more confused than when they started. Fly casting advice is best done face to face when it can be explained in simple terms and also shown, it's the visual aspect that lacks on a forum. Great if you want to natter on about geeky stuff amongst a lot of people familiar with jargon and physics concepts but not much use for someone just trying to get a handle on it.

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on May 08, 2012, 05:15:07 PM
Totally useless!
Not totally, surely!   :lol:

Quote from: scotty9 on May 08, 2012, 05:15:07 PM
Some of it makes sense
Some of it made  a lot of sense to me Scott and dovetailed perfectly with quite a few theories of my own and a few others I could mention but won't.  :8)

Wildfisher

It made a lot of sense to me except  for the nasty kicks at the end of the cast some were talking about. Can't say I have ever felt that.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on May 08, 2012, 06:28:56 PM
it left me with a nice stretched line with a permanently curved tip,

Congratulations you are now a  fly line designer   :lol:

scotty9

I have to admit to failing to see the point coming out the thread!  :lol:

James's point is valid and I think he has a very good point that people do vary their input to reach a sweet spot as such. I'm not sure how on earth to start defining the sweet spot mind you! Other than that seems to be a debate over the wrong use of the word overloaded and a debate about a line that had a manufacturing fault.

Alan - I've been there too when I first started. Yeah, yeah just stretch the line... next thing you know you have a permanently coiled line, those bastards ruined my line  :lol:

Wildfisher

Alan (aka new fly line designer),

Can you make me one of these curved tip lines so I can cast round corners?  A bit of kick would be fine too if you could  build it  in. Handy for dislodging any grass or heather picked up on the back cast.   :lol:

Go To Front Page