News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Loading

Started by Wildfisher, May 08, 2012, 11:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Yesterday when I was on the river I kept a half-eye on the amount of line I was actually using to load the rod. I use a leader varying from about 17ft (calm conditions) down to about 11ft for windy conditions. Yesterday about 15ft.

I was normally casting about 5-8 yards of line only. This giving the best balance of distance from the fish and line control. I don't think I ever exceeded 12 yards of line out of the tip - and that was for just one fish. Perhaps when choosing a river rod we should discipline ourselves to test at at 5-10 yards and let the occasional longer cast be compromised rather than the other way around.   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I think it depends on the river Malcolm. On the lower Don at Parkhill for example the river is very wide in places, meaningful wading is impossible  and sometimes very long casts are required to cover the only fish that may be rising. Very often there I find it impossible to cover a fish due to distance / high banks.  A better caster would probably do better.  In general though you are right most of the time in the places I fish I have a lot less than 40 feet out inc. leader. The law of diminishing returns comes into play here. I do wonder if it is worth spending the time perfecting your  casting for these odd occasions or just accepting you can't get them all and moving on.   :D

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on May 10, 2012, 10:37:41 AMThe law of diminishing returns comes into play here. I do wonder if it is worth spending the time perfecting your  casting for these odd occasions or just accepting you can't get them all and moving on.   :D

Interesting comment.  You do need a basic level of casting competence in order to be able to fish well, but I don't think there is much point in making a fetish of it,( Unless you want to! :)  ). The vast majority of my river fish are caught at less than thirty feet away, and there, stealth and presentation is of much greater importance than being able to double haul thirty yards.

Also, not everybody even has the time required for these things. Many barely have time for fishing and they don't want to "waste" it learning a lot of stuff.

TL
MC

scotty9

I agree to a point Malcolm although I'd take it further and say the rod doesn't really matter. You could give any rod to any good caster and they'll do the same thing... it also depends if you have the luxury of multiple rods for different situations, many people only have one or two rods to cover everything.

Mike - agree also but the big difference in a good caster compared to a duff caster is adaptability to different types of fishing. You can't take a duff caster who does well fishing small streams to fishing saltwater flats for example... but if they're not going to be doing things like that then it don't matter a hoot!  :)

Traditionalist

Quote from: scotty9 on May 10, 2012, 01:57:29 PM

Mike - agree also but the big difference in a good caster compared to a duff caster is adaptability to different types of fishing. You can't take a duff caster who does well fishing small streams to fishing saltwater flats for example... but if they're not going to be doing things like that then it don't matter a hoot!  :)

When you do these things you are already beyond the fringe of anything approaching "normal" humanity anyway! :)

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Interesting stuff Alan. I really have no idea how far my fly goes at my max. cast. I guess I should measure it and find out to get some idea if it is even practical to strive for more distance. Perhaps some of these fish at Parkhill are just too far away to cover in a reasonable subtle or effective   manner.

scotty9

Quote from: admin on May 12, 2012, 06:59:11 PM
Perhaps some of these fish at Parkhill are just too far away to cover in a reasonable subtle or effective   manner.

If it's over about 55' on the river I'd reckon chances are there's not a hope in hell you'll get any sort of reasonable drift to tempt the fish in the first place. Some are just too far away... Sometimes they are too far away at 35' if the currents are shocking or your casting space is limited...

scotty9

We're taking a measuring tape fishing next time  :lol:

You should just get yourself closer to the fish!  :) I have to say though, good job... never mind the cast, just hooking the bugger at that range with slack is impressive  :8)

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on May 13, 2012, 12:45:26 AM
only place i know on the Clyde its possible, stupid, pointless but possible :lol:

I like it  :8)

Go To Front Page