News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Free Casting Clinc hosted by Andy Murray (salmon angler - not tennis player)

Started by Clan Ford, October 04, 2008, 06:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Ford

Once again Andy Murray, ex-Hardy's Rep and now Tweed Ghillie, will be hosting a casting clinc on the Earn near Crieff.  I've yet to attend one of these events (and its my daughter birthday party that day so not sure about this one either) but I'm told that Andy is a fantastic instructor and passes on hints about all aspect of fishing and casting.  Obviously its got a bit of a Salmon slant to it but he does plenty of trouty stuff with single handers.  All welcome, even wild trout anglers, details are shown below.

QuoteAndy Murray Casting Clinic ? Crieff AC will host a Casting Clinic by Andy Murray (10.00 a.m. ? 4.00 p.m.) on Sun 12 Oct at Dornoch Mill on the Club?s Drummond Castle beat ? see http://www.crieffanglingclub.org.uk/river_beats.htm for a map. The event is FREE and all are welcome (including non-members).

Andy will have a selection of Loomis rods and reels for people to try out and will give a series of demonstrations and offer tuition and tips, including on choice of flies etc.

Norm

zeolite

That looks like a good day Norm. I really fancy that and I may have drag Mrs Z along but...who gets the B+W?  :worms

Do we have to register interest?
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Clan Ford

Quote from: zeolite on October 04, 2008, 07:09:35 PM
That looks like a good day Norm. I really fancy that and I may have drag Mrs Z along but...who gets the B+W?  :worms

Do we have to register interest?

Z,

Just turn up - they are always struggling for participants last year only 16 pitched up.  I believe that Andy comes with a staggering array of tackle for you to try.  Think each participant gets about 20 minutes of one to one tuition.  Free refreshments as well :D

I'd be interested to quizz him about the articles on using rapalas and devons that were recently published in T&S - some quite thought provoking stuff.

Norm

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

roagfisher

i'v been to a couple of these days a few years back when andy worked at hardys and he would bring a large range of rods for us to try.Very informative and usefull day

Ian_M

Ian

Clan Ford

Ian,

That was last season :roll:

He comes up every year though so I'll post the date when I know.  In the mean time here's a report on last seasons event.  Zeolite pitched up an got to play with an ?800 rod :shock: his casting was still pants though :roll: :lol:

Andy Murray Casting Clinic

Crieff Angling Club hosted a visit by fly casting guru Andy Murray, at Dornoch Dam on Sunday.  Andy, who has been travelling the world for the last 25 years demonstrating fly casting, has appeared on the BBC as well as Canadian and US television and is currently on the staff of leading American tackle manufacturer G.Loomis as well as working as a ghillie on the Tweed.   

Andy started his session by giving a demonstration of the various casts employed in Salmon angling including the ?Snap T? and ?Circle C? as well as the more usual Single and Double Spey.  His ability was obvious for all to see and it was quite something to watch the master at work.  After the demonstration was over he spent the rest of the day giving individual tuition to around 30 angling club members and friends, many chose to use one of the wide selection of G.Loomis rods that Andy had brought with him.  These rods are at the cutting edge of fly fishing technology and have a price to match, with most costing in the region of ?700!    Hopefully the hints picked up at this casting clinic will stand the members in good stead, on their next outing on the Earn.

Norm

Ian_M

Must read these more carefully Norm.  Got quite excited over an event that has long gone.  :(

Keep us posted.
Ian

Clan Ford

2009 Date Confirmed

I've taken this off the Crieff Angling Club site:-

QuoteAndy Murray Casting Clinic – once again the Club is fortunate to have Andy Murray (professional casting instructor and fishing guide on the River Tweed) coming to give demonstrations and offer tuition including tips on choice of flies etc. Andy will have a selection of Loomis rods and reels for people to try out and light refreshments will be available. All are welcome (including non-members). The event is FREE and will take place at Dornoch on Sun 20 September (10.00 a.m. – 4.00 p.m.)

If your considering coming along its worth getting there early.  Andy starts with a demo followed by some one on one casting instruction.  If nothing else you'll get the chance to cast a very expensive rod :8)

Norm

superscot

Go To Front Page