News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Grousenomics

Started by Wildfisher, November 13, 2010, 05:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnie

I've just picked up a copy of the Field magazine,get one from time to time.There's a full page advert from the Churchill sporting agency,for the Lammermuirs(which I think is in the borders)3 days Grouse shooting for 3 guns shooting 300 birds,?10500 per gun.Gives you an idea of how desperate they might be to add a couple more birds at those prices!!over ?30000 for 300 birds!!

Wildfisher

Good news story here for Mull.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-13783555

Value of sea eagles for Mull alone  -  5 million. Looks pretty impressive compared  to 11 million for grouse for the whole of Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11748775

Scotaidh

What I don't understand is why these rich people need to shot 100's of birds in 1 day, that isn't sustainable.  Manage the land for a mix of wildlife and shooting, get rough shooters and bird watchers.  Maybe on different days though :P

Wildfisher

I think you are right Scotaidh. Nothing at all wrong  with shooting if it's done sustainably. My own definition of sustainable is shooting a natural surplus, not some artificial high number that may have been created by the slaughter of raptors that appear to be of  more value to Scotland's economy than the grouse they are killed to protect.

Scotaidh

Quote from: Alan on June 16, 2011, 02:41:35 PM
ideally this would be good for everything, if we ate pike, perch, roach etc, dined on wild roe deer, which are becoming a road hazard in places, not sure about eating magpies and cormorants but i like the formula.
we breed an awful lot for entertainment and food while populations of things that used to be food explode into problems.

My grandmother used to say cormorant was the best eating seabird.

River Chatter

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 16, 2011, 04:44:03 PM
My grandmother used to say cormorant was the best eating seabird.

I imagine it tastes like wild brown trout from my local loch.  :x

Wildfisher

Quote from: River Chatter on June 16, 2011, 06:59:35 PM
I imagine it tastes like wild brown trout from my local loch.  :x

more likely stockie rainbows  from one of the many dubs.    C'mon the cormorants!!!  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on June 17, 2011, 01:17:45 AM
christ knows why people fished for trout in the first place, pike is like eating mud with needles
Salmon too, the most culinary overrated fish that swims, even the the wild stuff is pretty dire.  Nice smoked, but then so are most things.  Give me a bit of haddock any day!  :D

Inchlaggan

I have always been interested in what we Britons will or will not eat- horse anyone?
On safari in Kenya our Masai guide would tell us the common (English), latin and local names of each animal spotted. An antelope was identified as "kongoni" and I commented that I had tried that for dinner the previous night- delicious. The other couple in the Land Rover were horrified- how could I eat wildlife?
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

zeolite

Quote from: admin on June 17, 2011, 09:08:22 AM
Salmon too, the most culinary overrated fish that swims, even the the wild stuff is pretty dire.  Nice smoked, but then so are most things.  Give me a bit of haddock any day!  :D

I really don't know what goes on with your tastebuds Fred but fresh caught salmon is a delight! The fish I really don't care for is cod. That is the most overrated fish. Unless you give it a decent sauce it is very bland.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Go To Front Page