News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wading boots for fresh and saltwater ?

Started by rannoch raider, March 20, 2015, 03:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

I've got the sonik sk4 but they are made on the small side so definately size up especially if using in cold weather, i found this out this week, 2 pairs of socks and I couldn't wiggle my toes!

Haresear the link I posted to eBay earlier was for regatta aqua shoes, thy are walking shoes designed to go in and out of water, might be of interest for your trips, £28 delivered. If I had more money I would have bought a set already  :roll:

haresear

Quote from: Lochan_load on March 20, 2015, 01:54:49 PM
I've got the sonik sk4 but they are made on the small side so definately size up especially if using in cold weather, i found this out this week, 2 pairs of socks and I couldn't wiggle my toes!

Haresear the link I posted to eBay earlier was for regatta aqua shoes, thy are walking shoes designed to go in and out of water, might be of interest for your trips, £28 delivered. If I had more money I would have bought a set already  :roll:

Thanks Lochan Load. I can't open the link just now as I'm at work :8) but will have a look when I get home.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

These Regatta shoes look fine, but no way Id wear anything in NZ that did not provide full ankle support. It could  end up a very short fishing holiday.  When I see what that terrain does to boots I'd rather it didn't do it to my feet!  :lol:

Fishing in NZ is as hard on the feet and boots as the summit rocks and screes of a Scottish hill and much more prolonged

Part-time

I've been looking at some alternative options for wading boots and found these rock boots - I've not bought/tried them but they may be worth a look for what you have in mind. At £40 probably not out of the question to buy them just for shore fishing and get standard wading boots as well for lochs and rivers.

http://www.bigorangewatersports.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=476

Lochan_load

Part times post has jogged my mind that snowbee do a wading boot called 'rock hopper' look decent and what you're after, quick google search and you'll find them at around £45-£50

Wildfisher

Keep the suggestions coming  guys.

Personally I am sick to the back teeth of paying £100 + for wading boots that fall to bits in a year or less. I was seriously considering buying good quality walking boots with vibram soles and studding them.  Wading boots are rip off, but I guess if all you do is fish at the local stockie pond with grassy banks you would be none the wiser.

Bobfly

I often wear a pair of old Brasher Hillmaster boots for fishing and they are fine other than  they are not as good on slimy stones as felts. Walk in with the boots, carry the waders. Usually then walk back in the waders.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

shad

Best I ever had were the Simms boots with studded aquastealth soles, small studs that didnt rust and I fish in saltwater for more than half my fishing.I heard the aquastealth was a renamed product mainly used in climbing boot soles- maybe Dave will know about this?

Anyway Simms stopped doing them , no doubt down to cost.Just bought new Patagonia ones with the aluminium bars which are on sale in a few places at the moment, not tried them yet though.

corsican dave

unfortunately it's the usual deal with these things: you get what you pay for. the problem is that £100(which sounds a lot of money, but nowadays is mid-range) just doesn't cut it, whether you're buying walking or wading boots. so, you either bite the bullet and spend quite a bit more, or pay far less and expect to replace them. I can see the sense in both arguments.

I think aquastealth was the same as 5.10 stealth. a very good sticky rubber. I've got a pair of these by simms; at least 5 years old and barely a mark on them. I wish I could remove those pesky studs though.... :lol: incidentally, simms started out making top notch ski-mountaineering equipment as "lifelink".
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on March 21, 2015, 07:50:16 PM
unfortunately it's the usual deal with these things: you get what you pay for
Not with wading boots. With few exceptions no matter how much you pay they fall to bits and that includes the expensive Orvis boots I bought and the Simms boots Alex took to NZ last month. For me the blow was softened by Orvis replacing them, but the second pair also fell to bits after a  4 week trip to NZ and a season at home, rather confirming the point.  Even mid range  hill boots do not do this, so what's the difference?  I believe the makers simply don't build enough quality into wading boots,  perhaps they judge that most anglers will be using them on easy going rivers like we have in the UK, reservoirs etc. 

I simply do not believe good quality robust wading boots that will handle NZ type terrain  are available at anything like affordable prices and without ending up looking like Frankenstein's monster.  I am looking at buying hill boots next time IF I can find a pair with suitable soles. Alex was saying that  Paul Proctor told him this is what he does now  after similar bad experiences and spending a lot of money.

Go To Front Page