News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wading boots for fresh and saltwater ?

Started by rannoch raider, March 20, 2015, 03:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

Quote from: corsican dave on March 21, 2015, 07:50:16 PM
I think aquastealth was the same as 5.10 stealth. a very good sticky rubber. I've got a pair of these by simms; at least 5 years old and barely a mark on them. I wish I could remove those pesky studs though.... :lol: incidentally, simms started out making top notch ski-mountaineering equipment as "lifelink".

I thought you would know Dave, great stuff shame they changed. The metal lace rings have rotted away on mine with the salt, going to try replacing them with cable ties and keep my new Pataguccis for fresh water.

If you ever come down to Torness youll be glad of the studs, the tropical water grows some very skitey green stuff!

shad

Maybe worth looking at something like the Lowa desert boots the army use Fred ? very well made German boot ,good sole and might be lighter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowa-Elite-Desert-Boots-Size-12-/261812168408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf538a6d8

Wildfisher

The soles look hard on these Colin and if so would be lethal.  The Orvis boots I bought that fell to bits cost almost as much as the Alt Berg hill boots I bought a few years ago. £180. These hill boots  don't fall to bits, in fact they are built like a brick shithouse and are as comfy to wear as slippers. I have seriously considered buying a hill boot of that quality and using them.  In my own not limited experience wading boots are a rip off. £175 might not be "top range" but frankly I don't think it unreasonable  to expect they will last longer than 4 weeks. Even the crap £100 Aiflo boots really should have lasted longer than 1 day even if it was on The Rough River.

Wildfisher

I just do not believe I can buy a good pair of wading boots no matter how much I pay. OK, these Airflo boots were never going to be the best, but even at £100 is it not reasonable to expect them NOT to start falling to bits after one day?  If I had splashed out and paid £200 would they have lasted twice as long?    :roll:

Bobfly

I have rock shoes for climbing that are 5.10 which has been around for about 15+ years. They have no tread pattern and are deadly on damp grass, moss and on rock with wet lichen but fantastic on dry rock or on wet rock that is clean.
I have the same 5.10 rubber on a pair of Scierra wading boots and the sole is called Dyna-Track and they are also excellent. I have fitted four screw studs only with two fitted across the hollow in front of the heel and two in the middle of the heel. They are now pretty good on almost any surface and they have worn very well. I would not pay high prices for "top name" wading boots but I would certainly buy these Scierras again.
Yvon Chuinard said "If ever you find you have bought a pair of comfortable, well-made, strong, mountain boots go straight back to the shop and buy a second pair because you will never get the quality again "   I think he was right !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

rannoch raider

Many thanks for all the suggestions folks ! It'll take me a week to have a swatch at them all  :shock: I do like the look of the Orvis boots and the Simms but there's a lot of excellent suggestions offered and I'll have a really good look online at all those mentioned.

Much appreciated
Cheers
Jim

Mark

I bought some sonik boots in November and the stitching has burst on both sides of one boot already. I have walked a lot of miles in them but its a pretty crappy life span.
They're getting posted back tomorrow for a replacement. Sonik like others are not exactly helpful when it comes to replacements

rannoch raider

Well, I've been looking at loads of these since I posted and have decided on the Simms River Tek BOA Wading Boot. A wee bit pricey compared to some but I think it will meet my needs.  It's got a Vibram sole which I like and the Boa system fastener is something else I like. My daughter has used Track Cycling shoes with this system and it's pretty good. Very tough and also great for getting in and out of. So, thanks again for all the advice folks. Appreciated as always :)

corsican dave

hmm, be interested to see how you get on with these, Jim. our experience with these sorts of lacing systems is that they're fine when they're inside the boot , like ski boots, plastic mountaineering boots; but not so hot when on the outside. the mechanisms are prone to jamming with grit etc and the components wear down fast. every one that's appeared on the market has disappeared almost as quickly...
having said that, simms quality and warranty service is without question  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

I suppose I'm taking a slight chance on them Dave, A lacing system would no doubt be more reliable but I do like the convenience of stepping in and out of the boot without monkeying around with wet knots etc. One of my daughters has used track cycling shoes with the boa from time to time depending on who sponsors whatever team she is in. I think the Boa system is patented so it's the same set up regardless of shoe / boot maker. She can put over 1200 watts of power through the shoe in a push pull action and the system has stood up to it no problem at all. I doubt if walking or wading would produce anything remotely close to that so I'm happy it will be strong enough.  Having seen the locking system close up I know it is a simple ratchet type set up. I also know that as you suggest Dave, grit might well have an effect on it. I'm hoping that whatever washes in will also wash out and that it won't be too much of an issue. I also use the Hardy EWS waders which have a decent gravel guard built in so hopefully that'll help!
I understand that the Boa system is the 'mark 11' so probably a bit better than the basic mark 1 that I have experience of.

I'll hopefully get the chance to put them through their paces on the shore quite soon so I'll post a wee review of how they perform :8)

Go To Front Page