News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tippet / Leader Material Rip Off?

Started by Wildfisher, January 07, 2015, 09:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

Which of the two Strofts have you gone for or are you trying both types? It will be interesting to read the reports.
I take it you are only talking of the last couple of feet? I use a tapered copoly down to 3x then add on Rio Powerflex so not much is used.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

I'm using Stroft GTM I'm not sure abrasion resistance is a big issue for fly fishing and Stroft is so inexpensive I can change the tippet frequently anyway.

Bobfly

Here is me saying I mostly used a tapered copoly then a tippet piece when I have almost all lines now converted to the Loopy Leaders furled ends now .... !
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Robbie

I have been considering giving Stroft ago as I am running low on tippet, seem it have lost a few spool during the move. good to hear your trial is going well.

Suki1312

Quote from: Alan on January 07, 2015, 11:03:40 PM
Frog hair was the one i'd pick out as not living up to expectation, i'm not a fan of the cheaper versions, fulling mill is another i'd say is weak fro the diameter, you can break 3lb fulling mill quite easily by hand, try that with 3lb stroft and it will bite into your hand, thats my test, proper scientific :lol:
To be fair on Rio, it is really strong.

Been flogging fulling mill for over 10 years now . Can't see past it for value and quality . Weak for its diameter is one thing i would disagree with . Use from 4lb and could count on one hand the breakages iv'e had . If pulling on lochs good old drennan
Every day is a school day

Go To Front Page