News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Intill't

Started by Fishtales, March 01, 2007, 09:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

The thread on Gaelic and Scottish languages brought this to mind from "The Auld Scots Dictionary".

An English traveller, staying at a great hotel in Edinburgh, was much pleased with the excellence of the hotch-potch at dinner, and asked the head-waiter how it was made, and of what it was made? The waiter replied that there were peas intill't, and beans intill't, and onions intill't. "But what's intill't?" asked the Englishman. " I'm just tellin' you that there's beans intill't, and peas intill't, and neeps intill't, and carrots intill't"---------
   "Yes! Yes! I know----beans, peas, onions, turnips, and carrots," said the Englishman ; "but what's intill't? Is it salt, pepper, or what? Please tell me what's intill't?"
   "Eh, man!" replied the impatient waiter, " ye maun be unco' slow o' comprehension. I was tellin' ye owre and owre again that there are beans intill't, and peas intill't"-----
   "And tult! What the devil is tult, or intill't, or whatever the name is? Can you not give a plain answer to a plain question? Does tult mean barley, or mutton, or mustard, or some nameless ingredient that is a trade secret, or that you are afraid to mention?"
   "Oh, man!" said the waiter, with a groan, "if I had your head in my keeping, I'd gie it sic a thumpin' as wad put some smeddum intill't"
   Tradition records that the Englishman has never yet ascertained what intill't means, But wanders through Scotland vainly seeking enlightenment.

"Knife and Fork" edited by Blanchard Jerrold
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

sandyborthwick

I see where your comming from - I can remember many years ago watching my young brother asking repeatedly and somewhat frustratedly " FIR TWA FISH SUPPERS " to a totally bemused and confused fish and chippy in England. It just goes to show we are two countries separated by a "common language"!!!!
Of course I stepped in and acted as interpretor eventually - the hunger was killing me.

Sandy B.O.

alancrob

Tam Cowans in the Herald diary always spoke, sometimes fondly, of the fair city called "furry boots" city.

Aiberdeen to you and me where they frequently ask such searching questions as "furry boots you fae?" and "Furry boots the chippy?".  :biglaugh;

Alan

ten boaber

After I had bought some items from the local shop when I stayed near Nottingham I said to the girl behind the counter,
" Can I get a poke? " meaning obviosly that I needed a bag for my purchases.
After trying to explain I left quickly with my arms full of my purchases :D :D :shock:

Go To Front Page