News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

"Teal" Ace of spades out of mallard and guinea fowl.  Hoping it has a similar effect though.
[attachimg=1]

haresear

I'm sure both of those cock sparrows will work Fred. :D

rannoch raider, these are for our NZ trip, but these big flies are worth a cast here in Scotland too.

SoldierPmr, I have yet to find a trout that cares about fly patterns or materials used. That mallard Ace of Spades will work just fine.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: SoldierPmr on October 26, 2014, 07:33:56 PM
Hoping it has a similar effect though.
As Alex says the fish don't worry as long as the look / fly action is right the materials are fine

Quote from: rannoch raider on October 26, 2014, 06:39:08 PM
It's a big beast of a fly for sure! Is it effective over here

I  caught  a few reasonable fish ( pound +) on that cock sparrow in a corrie loch  on the side of Ben Mor Assynt way up the top of the Cassley river a few years ago. It is astonishing how big a fly even quite  small trout will take. I have had salmon parr attack huge tarantulas on The Don.

Lochan_load

I like to keep a couple of size 8 cormorant/streamer type flies in my trout box, if all else fails it's always good to have something else to try!
Dying to get the b175s out but going for salmon tomorrow so another double, if t has a name I don't know it, all the salmon stuff is new to me

Wildfisher

While delving into the deeper depths of fly fishing definition distorting depravity I came across this material, "Squirmy Wormies". It is not widely available in the UK, but I found one supplier. As you might imagine it is ridiculously over priced, but what the hell? I tied this little beauty.

[attachimg=1]

That's a brown version. The hook is a size 8  Fulling Mill barbless wrapped with lead wire. The wormy stuff is tied  down  over the length of the shank and dangles over each end to your preferred length. That would do it, but I put some rabbit dubbing on to protect the material from fish teeth where it is most vulnerable. I'm also going to  tie some heavier ones with tungsten beads.

It comes in various colours.

[attachimg=2]

I have no doubt this will be a good "nymph"  pattern.

This video I made best shows the mobility of the material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59S1LYKKPsA#ws

F**k you Frederic  Halford.    :lol:

SoldierPmr

Looks exelent for most still water situations especially if it's choppy. can you get it in red/lob worm colour?

Wildfisher

There were 4 colours available, I bought 3. The redder ones would do I think.

Got it here

http://www.deercreek.co.uk/DEER-CREEK-MATERIALS.html

Rabmax

Fred how do you find those Fulling Mill barbless are for holding fish.I have been tying some nymphs with Fulling Mill jig hooks.They have the same shaped curve with slight upward points.Haven't fished with them yet .Hows the Fulling Mill hooks holding fish for you.Cheers :D

Wildfisher

Have only used them a few times Rab, but they seemed OK.  I like them because they look very strong whereas some of the jig hooks I have used don't look as robust. I'm going to  tie the tungsten bead worms on jig hooks as I want them to swim hook  point up. Are the Fulling Mill ones strong looking? Going to NZ I don't want to end up with straightened hooks.

Rabmax

Yes they feel very strong & sharp too.I bought them in size 16 & 14 to try first.I would say that a size 16 looks more like a size 14 in Hends jig hook sizes.I think the size 16 will be my most used size they do look very good quality.
Came across this for squirmy worms.
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/tag/squirmy-wormies/
Not sure if you can buy those Puff Balls over here.Cheers

Go To Front Page