News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

reel size

Started by garryh, April 12, 2009, 10:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

hi folks its me again.i have ordered a 7ft 6in #4 weight rod and now I'm looking for a reel.i know some makes tell you the line size the reel is for but not all.what would be the best diameter and is it best to go for a large arbour on such a light rod?any tips or suggestions will be most helpfull.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

I think it depends on the size of fish you expect to catch. For big fish a large arbour with disk drag is better. I expect with the size of the rod you?ll be using it on burns? If so I would  go for something like a Vosseller RC1.  Light weight, narrow arbour, no drag, well made. Not cheap though.

A delight to use.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vosseler-RC1-fly-fishing-reel_W0QQitemZ170103252167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN?hash=item170103252167&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

alancrob

I would have thought it would depend on how much you spent on a rod to determine how much you would want to spend on a reel?  It brings us back to the long term discussion about "is a reel just for holding the line?".

I always work on the principle of working to a budget - Rod, reel, spools, line(s). - How much are you willing/able to spend? Then I see something better and blow the budget to smitherenes.  :lol:

A.

Clan Ford

Like Col I favour a large arbour,

I'm not of the opinion that a reel is just a line holder, especially if fishing wee rivers, as every now and then you come across a bigger fish :D  But the limitations of a small stream require good line handling as well as a decent drag, especially if your fishing a lighter weight rod.

The problem is finding a decent but cheap large arbour with a good drag.  I use Orvis battenkills (the old version).  I managed to pick up a few at around ?60 on ebay.  There are plenty of other good alternatives though.

Norm

garryh

hi Col i was already looking at the sage1800 and being sorely tempted to blow the budget again :lol:but the shakey looks OK as well.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

haresear

I use large arbours exclusively now and like a good drag. Having said that, I don't like heavy reels especially on light rods and most large arbours are relatively heavy, especially the cheaper ones. I use Lamson Litespeeds and they are "lite" but leave your wallet "lite" too.

For a wee light rod, for use on small streams I reckon you won't be expecting to hook many monsters, so in your shoes and if you don't want to spend a lot of money I would go for a bog standard arbour reel, but with a good drag. Shimano Ultegra is a good reel and I used to use the BFR Dragonfly. It was ok too.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

By the way, why do Shakespeare produce some fly reels that are  chromed like Harley Davidson mudguards?  Bloody hideous things to my eye.

alancrob

QuoteBy the way, why do Shakespeare produce some fly reels that are  chromed like Harley Davidson mudguards?

Real bikers are much more discrete when fishing.

http://www.paulspaintballs.com/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=displayroom2&uid=13979&returnURL=http%3A//www.paulspaintballs.com/displayroom2   :lol:

A.

Go To Front Page