News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Good fishing/camping spots near public transport!

Started by Jakewhitson, April 21, 2009, 07:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakewhitson

Hi,

I'm a big fan of wild fishing and wild camping, and basically what I'm looking for is a place where I can camp in the woods (which I've heard is acceptable in Scotland) and spend my days fishing and perhaps putting out the odd light-weight prawn pot to supplement my diet. I'm not an experienced angler by any means, in fact my experience basically extends only to mackerel and bass fishing on the Dorset coast several times a year, as well as a bit of lobster creeling, so I'm also looking for advice on fish that can be caught on simple setups, and also whether or not potting seems like a good idea and where would be best to do this sort of thing etc etc. Also, I am potentially interested in learning to fly fish so good places to do this that are accessible by public transport would be good to hear about too. The main consideration with all of the above is also that I don't drive, so they need to be within reach of public transport (though I am happy to walk for 10-20 miles potentially).

Anyway many thanks in advance for all advice!

Jakewhitson

Many thanks for all the great replies so far! Ok so this is probably a terribly ignorant question, but what is the deal with fishing in lochs? Do you pay/need a licence? What sort of things are you likely to catch in them? I'm guessing maybe the sea lochs are free but the freshwater lochs not?

aliferste

Quote from: claretbumble on April 22, 2009, 10:44:44 PM
Ouch! That's a bit rough!

I'll have you know, my "precious" car is 12 years old, has done 180,000 miles, is covered in bashes, gets treated like a skip, and cost me ?500.

Going by the budget - you just made ?1500 - easy pickings!  :lol:

Ian_M

Quote from: claretbumble on April 23, 2009, 10:05:14 AM
Yeah, I was talking to Mrs. Claretbumble about that last night. There's going to be a huge market in old bangers now: if you're thinking about changing your car - any car, no matter how old - all you need to do is pick up a rustbucket for a couple of hundred quid, use that as your trade-in for the new one, pocket the 2-grand, and punt the one you're really changing as a private sale on eBay / Autotrader.

So what Mr Darling has effectively done, is increase the desireability and net worth of any old heap.

Madness. As usual.

Not sure it's that easy CB.  The car has to have been registered to you for at least 12 months.

Some rules here ...

http://www.ukscrapscheme.co.uk/?gclid=CPfSwMrQhpoCFQVfFQodhy18Fw
Ian

scottish-loch-lad

They say that

"Rannoch Moor fishing is only 100m walk from London"

Logic being the train takes you right up the highland line and stops at Rannoch where there are wild lochs all around.

Free in the main, camp where you like, fish for small trouts

Texxa

I'm with Chris...plenty of excellent fishing next to Rannoch Station. Otherwise there is Corrour stop, with some hill lochs and a few public use bothies.

Go To Front Page