News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Old reel

Started by alancrob, August 29, 2009, 08:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alancrob

Can anyone give some more information on an "Ariel Popular" reel.

I know some of the basics and I know that models from late 20's are sought after. I have the chance to buy one. I have not seen it yet and want to know what I am looking for. Things like how recently were they made. Looking on auction sites etc the only ones I see are from the 20's, Mostly model 8902, is that because that was the only time they were worth the money?  :dunno

Thanks

Alan

alancrob

I saw this reel for sale in an auction, along with a brass gaff, for ?30 - ?50. Having checked it out a bit I saw it on sale elsewhere for ?250 - ?350.

Being busy yesterday I sent my agent (swmbo) to bid for me. 

It sold for nearly ?200!  Too much to risk if I wanted to sell it on for a decent profit. Next time. Personally I don't see the attraction in buying an old, and to be honest useless, reel.

I also wanted another lot valued at around ?150 which went for over ?300. Recession?

A.

rabbitangler

Saw an old & rather battered leather gun case at an auction. No inside stuff - completely bare. I thought mmmm Icould put fly tying stuff in that, I'll maybe go ?15 like the estimate.......... ?150 later..... It just needs two people, like on E-bay

Go To Front Page