News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Reel

Started by aweman, September 07, 2009, 09:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawhin

The Ultegras are totally bomb-proof very well made reels but I've always found the stated capacity to be a bit on the mean side compared to what you can actually fit on it. I've also got a 3/4 and with a DT4 line on it there's barely room for any backing at all. So I'd agree with Col and stick with the 5/6 for a WF6 line.  With it being a normal (not large arbour) reel it's even more important to get a decent build up of backing on it to increase the spool diameter for that time when you do hit a decent fish.

Other decent mid-price reels are the Shakespeare Pflueger Trions which are a bit shiny and heavy but get really good reviews against similarly priced reels. I see a few posters on here use them regularly.

Another I really like is the old entry point Lamson Radius - a no-nonsense solid reel. With it being replaced/changed it's going cheap in places like
http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4
If you manage to get a good exchange rate day and avoid the duty then this works out as a good deal.

Cheers,

Ian  

windknot

cheers haresear
                       already experienced the same problem with reels and rod fittings will double check before i buy
                                                                                                                                               thanks

Go To Front Page