News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Winter storage for fly lines.

Started by piscatus absentis, October 22, 2009, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

Get an old bike wheel and discard the tyre and tube.  Wind your lines round it over the winter.  No coils at the start of the season.  One wheel holds up to four lines.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 24, 2009, 12:02:53 AM
if they are kept at the same temperature what could happen over the winter?

Not much. This all harks back to the "good old" days of silk lines. Buy a decent low memory  line and you can just leave it on the reel.

haresear

Quote from: Ardbeg on October 24, 2009, 11:43:39 AM
Right enough Fred, Snowbee XS floater on the reel for 3 seasons, a quick stretch and memory gone.

Ardbeg

Me too. If you choose wisely, modern supple lines don't have the same tendency to impersonate springs as they used to.
The only problems I have had with memory recently have been with recalling rather than coiling :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Mono cores are notorious for memory problems, is your wulff line a mono core?

I've only ever had problem with memory from one line, a glasgow angling centre own brand that i started out with, now that thing was rubbish! All the lines i've owned and used since have been memory free, PP, Rio, Cortland and a couple Snowbees from other people have all be perfectly fine left on reels.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 24, 2009, 11:01:40 PM
whats memory again?  :lol:

for god's sake man it's........ ehm ..... ehm....... it's............... ehm.............you know!   :D

Go To Front Page