News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New rod and reel for hill lochs.

Started by Spindrift, July 09, 2005, 07:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spindrift

Hi - I've just been let loose on this forum and I thought I would start by getting some expert advice on gear.

I've read around various other posts on this topic and now have some ideas but I wondered if anyone had any views on the Greys Missionary rods. Specifically the 4/5 10 ft 3in model. This would seem to be a good rod for carrying into the hills and one that could be transported by m/cycle easily when required.

Second question - regarding reels. They mostly seem to come in 3/4 or 5/6 weights which is not too handy for a 4/5 rod - or am I taking things a bit too literal here. Do rods and reels have to be matched exactly. If so what would you folks recomend for a 4/5 rod of the above type?
Oh yea - I should also mention the last time I went fishing was when I was ten years old!!! :shock:  about 40 yrs ago, although it just seems like yesterday, ok a bit of an exageration but you know what I mean.

Many thanks for any help and advice you can send my way.

Cheers   -  Dave.
I won't take up anything else - honest.
Damn - failed again!!!

Wildfisher

Dave,

The 5/6 weight reel would be OK. All it means is the drum size suits lines of that weight.  Don?t know anything about Greys rods, perhaps some of the others can help. I just bought a Scierra IC3 reel, less than 50 quid with 4 spools and a drag that actually works. Its is terrific and worth considering

Spindrift

Thanks for the info Fred - I'll check out that reel and hopefully someone will have some experience of the Missionary rod. If not I might think about one of the Vision rods. They seem to get good reports on this site.

Cheers  Dave
Damn - failed again!!!

Wildfisher

I bought a vision 3 zone 10 footer #5 at the start of the season. The only thing I would say  is that it is only a #5 weight if fishing weight forward lines,  if fishing double taper go for a #6 line as it loads the rod better. It?s a great rod though, a pleasure to use.

greenwell

Spindrift, I have to agree with Sandfly; hardly a week goes by that I don't hear of yet another Grey's breaking for no apparent reason and on that basis I would steer clear. Conversely I know a chap who has had loads of their rods and has never had any problems, but to be fair he's the only person I know who's had that sort of luck with them.
                     Have a look at the Visions, particularly the 3- zones, they are a bit cheaper than the Grey's but I've never heard anything but praise for them and certainly nothing about unexpected breakages. One that I think might be just the job for you is the 9' 6", three-piece 3- zone rated for a six line. It is perfect with a six weight forward but can easily handle a seven weight floater without any noticeable loss of performance for when the wind gets up and conditions turn rough. It'll do you for bank, boat, browns, rainbows and sea trout, using tiny dries right through to stuffed budgies or tropical finches for the rainbows. Have had some experience of this rod and I liked it a lot hence the praise. Highly recommended.

Anyway, tightstring, Greenwell.

Wildfisher

Uncleboo is right. You cannot go far wrong with a Daiwa.

Wildfisher

Another possibility -  some of the stockie basheries / dug-oots now sell gear. Some of them have rods / lines etc that are made by known manufacturers and ?re-badged?  with evocative names like ?Big Boy  10 footer?  or  ?Golden Osprey  Mega-Fisher Lines? etc etc  :)  ? you get the idea. Although the same kit is available elsewhere, more modestly named (and probably cheaper) , these places might have demo rods  and lines you can try out. It?s worth a look, even if it?s only to humour them.  :lol:

Pearly Invicta

Reddington rods are worth a look too. Again the guarantee covers any breakage- I snapped the tip off mine and they replaced it for 15 bucks even though I didn't have my original reciept or warranty card.

Obviously the production cost must be a couple of quid...

Wildfisher

I heard that Sage and Loomis rods that sell to  gullible western anglers  and cost  bucks x 10^6 are now produced in far east sweat shops for the equivalent cost of  handful of rice  and 3 chappatis. Don?t know if that?s true but I suspect there will be an element of truth in it.

Spindrift

Well I've got my moneys worth out of this forum.
Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll drop the Greys rods, I have no interest in helping companies exploit far eastern workforces for a pittance of a wage. That explains all those lifetime guarantees they generously hand out!
The Vision 3 rods are looking the best bet at the moment; if I get really keen I could go for the custom build, maybe try building one myself.My father was a fanatical fisherman - tied his own flies and made himself a beautiful split cane flyrod. Who knows it might be in the genes.
Thanks again for all the help, I will no doubt be after more help as things progress.

Cheers  Dave.
Damn - failed again!!!

Go To Front Page