News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

new loch rod wanted, any suggestions

Started by alba, April 26, 2010, 04:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba

looking to purchase a new rod for all my stillwater fishing, 9ft6 or 10ft, prob 7 or 8wt, anyone had anything new recently that they loved or didnt like?, budgets ?200 folks

River Chatter

A 7 or 8 weight feels a bit heavy for me these days, although like many a 7 weight was my default rod for loch fidhing for years.  While there are advantages in terms of cutting through the wind, the comfort of casting a 5 weight for lengthy periods of time is worth the sacrifice to me. 

alba

ave never used a 5wt much, just dont want to lose to much distance when casting for bank fishing if i need that extra 8- 10 yards

Robbie

I bought a 10ft 7wt Greys X-flite last year, nicely finished and a pleasure to use. However am now considering in getting a 10ft 5wt rod as after a full day fishing my casting starts to get a bit messy.

Cheers,

Robbie

scotty9

Quote from: alba on April 26, 2010, 05:33:35 PM
ave never used a 5wt much, just dont want to lose to much distance when casting for bank fishing if i need that extra 8- 10 yards

I felt the need to jump on this one! Big common misconception - distance comes down to technique more than anything! A 5wt line can be cast over 140' by some, now that is 100% pure technique! I can't do that but I can cast a full #5 line without much effort. You'd be amazed how far it will go with a bit of care!

Whilst a heavy outfit might give you a small advantage you should be looking at technique and more importantly what you're going to be casting. Match your line weight to size/weight of flies and you'll do well. And besides if you do have a #5 and REALLY need easy distance just go for the shooting head approach.

You may find for wild brownies that a #5 or #6 will serve you better, better presentation is a given but you'll feel much more mobile and less tired with the lighter rod. Food for thought  :8)

PS - the new loop evotec is getting some cracking reviews, spoken to a few today about it. I'm planning on trying it at the weekend or might even just buy one, will let you know!

alba

cheers scotty let me know how u get on.

bibio1

[
Quote from: Sandfly on April 26, 2010, 07:34:48 PM
Try fishing along the shoreline rather than casting into the distance.

Good advice. The best rod I have is a 4/5wt loch style made my Martin at aquarius. It can cast 20 yards but the sport when youcatch something is great. I often think we fish far too heavily. Also from experience fish especially browns are always in shallow water feeding  so casting far is not really necessary.

chhers

paul

Malcolm

Alba,

One of the clubs I am a member of has a rod trialling session every year.

Last year there was a fun casting competition:
distance casting, accuracy, roll casting distance and of the 30 or so people there only one or two people, as I remember it, cast further with a big, heavy 7/8 weight than they did with a 5 weight.

You can get a lot of rod for ?200. David Norwich does nice rods on unground blanks (which I prefer) for around ?200 of much higher quality than most but never buy blind.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

alba

Quote from: Sandfly on April 26, 2010, 07:34:48 PM
One point I would question, why would you need the extra 8-10 yards? Try fishing along the shoreline rather than casting into the distance.
Many people make the mistake of walking right up to the waters edge before having a cast, lots of fish feed very close to the side, think about traditional style boat angling, they cast towards the shore and draw their flies back.

Davy.

the 8- 10 yards comment was just for needting to cover a fish with the dries, I never have any problems with distance or accurace really just i usually fisuh an 8wt and after a long day it kills me, one trip last year a fished kinnardochy on the boat for about 12 - 13 hours and it nearly caused me to loose my arm lo

cheers for all the comments folks all taken in, having never used anything as small as a 5 or 6 wt on a stillwater was just wondering everyones oppionion.

scotty9

Quote from: alba on April 26, 2010, 08:05:59 PM

cheers for all the comments folks all taken in, having never used anything as small as a 5 or 6 wt on a stillwater was just wondering everyones oppionion.

One thing you will quickly realise is that a #5 or #6 is not small!

Are you fishing big heavy lures as the norm?

Go To Front Page