News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

new loch rod wanted, any suggestions

Started by alba, April 26, 2010, 04:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alba

scotty9

A lighter weight would serve you very well then, really the heavier gear comes into it's own to cast bigger flies. You said your arm gets knackered, you won't have to worry about that!

Where are you based? If you could get along to the casting club there is rods a plenty to try out. Ranging from 3wt to 13wts!

scotty9

Col me too, I've tried a few of the rods that have been reviewed in T&S and don't agree at all. (Not this issue but in the past)

Some of the last quote from the whaup there is just plain nonsense IMO. A rod does not cause a tangle, the caster does.

Clan Ford

Quote from: scotty9 on April 26, 2010, 11:32:25 PM
Some of the last quote from the whaup there is just plain nonsense IMO. A rod does not cause a tangle, the caster does.

I'd disagree with you there Scott, if you have a casting style and change to a rod that doesn't suit your style (and causes you to tangle up more often) then its the rod that has caused the tangle.  Change the rod and the tangle goes :8)

Norm

scotty9

Quote from: Clan Ford on April 26, 2010, 11:37:30 PM
I'd disagree with you there Scott, if you have a casting style and change to a rod that doesn't suit your style (and causes you to tangle up more often) then its the rod that has caused the tangle.  Change the rod and the tangle goes :8)

Norm

Ah but that's due to the caster not changing the way he's casting.  :lol:

I know what you are saying and such a change might be a quick fix/problem maker but there's an underlying reason why. The rod can't do anything on it's own  :wink:

As an aside someone going from a softer rod to a stiffer rod shouldn't see tailing loops develop (presumably the tangle?) due to the tip being less reluctant to buckle.

Just thought I'd add that in fairness it really depends on the person and how content they are with what they are doing. Many don't have or don't wish to improve their casting and that quick fix might be just the ticket. I stand by my comment of the caster is everything though :D You can make a rigid wooden stick cast a line :D

Part-time

I agree with the good advice already given Alba; go for a 5 or 6 weight and don't worry too much about distance - better to fish more effectively at reasonable range which will get you more fish over a season than trying to cast for the horizon.

John

scotty9

Well there's another good review!

I've actually been hearing great thing about it all day, been talking to a couple others guys and a guy at loop about it. It's definitely meant to be a stoater. I'm going to be so disappointed when I try it if it doesn't live upto expectation! This weekend hopefully!

scotty9

Steve - there is that thought yes, although..........(there's always a but!)

If you take joe bloggs who is using a stiffer rod and has a casting stroke suitably sized for a narrow loop with this rod. If you give him a softer rod and he keeps this same stroke (length and rotation) then it is likely his stroke will be too small for the increased bend in the rod and a tailing loop will result. I'll argue he'll use too narrow a stroke when going to the softer rod.

It's hard to say for sure as everyone's different and probably change their stroke even if only a tiny bit but that is what I would think would happen. It's a strange, complex bugger of casting arc being matched to bend in the rod, to try and get a straight line and then counterflex comes into play.

Now i've definitely dragged the topic way off course so i'll be quiet  :lol:

scotty9

:lol: :lol:

Yes I'm sure he's had a fair ear bashing! Alba i'd like to point out that when out fishing after wild broons, you do have the forum reputation to uphold, one cannot be seen with such an unsporting weapon in your hand.  :lol:

Fishtales

I use a 10' #7 with a WF7F and three flies, have done for the best part of forty years without any problems. I fish from the bank, I don't wade, and find the extra length helps keep the back cast up off the heather :) I don't see any difference in the line weight making a difference to presentation. I can cover rising fish at twenty yards and catch them on dry fly or two yards if they are beside the bank in shallow water. I also use a braided loop and leader loop to loop which should also stop me catching fish, if you believe all you read  :makefun

If you are trying to make me feel inadequate you have succeeded. I'm off to a darkened room to sulk. :P
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page