News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Daiwa Wilderness Rod

Started by Wildfisher, August 19, 2005, 10:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Anyone had a ?chuck?  with one of  these new Daiwa ?Wilderness Rods? ?  There seems to be a trend in some quarters of the fishing tackle industry to attach themselves to the perceived kudos of wild fishing as opposed to stocked fisheries (paradoxically,  fisheries being  where most of the potential customers are  :? ) ? nowt wrong wi? that I say ?  but a touch odd perhaps. Anyway, these rods look nice (see rear inside cover of September FF+FT) , just wondering if anyone had read a test, had a cast  or  even seen them? I have a soft spot for Daiwa, they were one of the first rods I carelessly put through the spokes  of the front wheel of  my bike when I was a lad.  :lol:

snatcher

Fred I was just doing a search online for one of these rods. It got a cracking review in the September issue of the English Reservoir   :x based Trout Fisherman magazine..... I have a 9' 6" Shimano Nexave at the moment and was thinking of another rod. Have you heard anymore on this rod?

Cheers,
James
Ah.... 'The Take'

greenwell

Bought one of these a couple of weeks ago for boat fishing. It's 11'3" rated for a seven and so far it seems to be up to Daiwa's usual high standard. Can't fault it in any area really although this particular model would be better suited to sea trout in loch or river and grilse. It's a bit on the powerful side for wild brownies unless you happen to be catching a regular supply of pound-plus fish so in that respect it's better suited to rainbows since they generally start around the pound and a bit upwards.
                          It comes in a 5-weight and a 9-foot six weght as well which would suit the wild fish better and be more responsive, but all in all my own impression is that whatever model you buy it will last for years and I think you would be hard pushed to find a decent reason to change it.
            Three piece, crdura covered and zipped tube and a lifetime guarantee with all models priced at 79.99. Can't be bad value at that.
    Hope that's of some use, anyway tightstring,
                                                                        Greenwell.

Wildfisher

Thanks for the replies. Good to see you back posting again Greenwells??.by the sound of things Diawa are using the same mandrels they used for the Whiskers to make these rods, if the weight  / size is anything to go by. A whisker by another name?

Sodger Muddler

I have just bought the 11ft 3in Wilderness from Reelsndeals online for ?65 and by the sounds of things i have made a good choice as i will be using it on Conn,Mask and Corrib mostly and some smaller Loughs up in Donegal .I have always liked the Daiwa rods and must have been mad to sell the Osprey X 11ft  rod i had.

Sodger Muddler

Aye i live in Ireland now ,but i was born and bred in South West Scotland.I fished the River Annan for 15 years before i moved over here.I do most of my fishing on Lough Conn and in Donegal for Brown Trout and do my Salmon fishing on the Rivers Roe,Finn and Moy.My favourite fishing is Loch style though pulling wet flies .

Sodger Muddler

Thats service  for you,I ordered the Wilderness rod online Tuesday night and it arrived here in Ireland this morning .

greenwell

Quote from: greenwellIt's a bit on the powerful side for wild brownies

Hello there sodger muddler, welcome to the forum. I posted my impression of the 11' 3" Wilderness but from the photo of the Corrib fish in your earlier post maybe I should withdraw what I said about wild broons :?

Anyway, tightstring and best wishes to all on the site for 2006, Greenwell.

Go To Front Page