News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New Rod Problem.

Started by Spindrift, August 23, 2005, 07:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spindrift

Hi - Anyone come across this before. My new Vision 3 zone rod is developing a rash of bubbles on the surface. It has only been used twice and I have only had it for approx 4 weeks. I don't remember noticing this when I last used the rod 10 days ago. It has not been stored anywhere near heat or cold and has not been exposed to any chemicals or cleaners.
All sections are showing some signs, the worst are found on the tip section - see pic attached. There are lots of very small bubbles barely visible to the naked eye over large areas of the rod - very weird. Anyone any ideas before I send it back?

Cheers    -   Dave.

I won't take up anything else - honest.
Damn - failed again!!!

Wildfisher

Never had this problem with mine. I believe Hamish has one too. What about yours Hamish? I would get it sent back to Vision ASAP, even  although it has a lifetime warranty that will cost you 15 quid and you really should NOT have to pay anything at all after such a short time.

Spindrift

Thanks for the feedback so far. I bought this from FMTC as part of a package with reel and lines, so I'll have to send it back to them to get a replacement.
It does look like the rod is covered in fine droplets of water but they are bubbles that have formed under the surface coating of the rod - it seems to have just started appearing!! Weird.
Damn - failed again!!!

Spindrift

I think you could be right Billy. The more I think about it, it seems the bubbles have appeared as I have been using the rod. I wonder if the flexing of the rod during casting has worked some fluids/solvents out of the blanks resulting in the bubbling.
As regards performance - I know less about fishing than anyone else using this forum!! - however, despite an initial disapointment with the finish of the cork handle and the subsequent blistering I have found the rod to be very pleasant to use and the Vision reel seems to match it well.

Cheers   Dave
Damn - failed again!!!

Wildfisher

Spindrift,

I used to have a  referral link on this site with FMTC which was removed for reasons that have  been discussed with a representative of the company.

If you experience any delays with FMTC dealing with this  you can contact the Vision agents / importers  in the UK. Hopefully they will sort it out.

Guide Flyfishing Ltd
8 The Vivars Centre
Canal Road
Selby
United Kingdom
YO8 0BE
Telephone: 01757 210160
Fax: 01757 210765

Wildfisher

Quote from: Billy
Apart from that how did the rod handle?  I am looking for a lightweight for rivers and was just going to buy a kit.

If you want to view and try one of these rods before you buy, they are sold by Loch Insch (Aberdeenshire?s premier stocked fishery)  near Huntly.  They will allow you to have a cast with one   before you buy. See the database for details of Loch Insch

http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/database/locationdetail.php?loc=193

Spindrift

I'll try again - thought I had posted a reply Fred but it was not there when I checked. So here goes again.
I have a few days off work coming up so I want to have the rod for then, it seems to perform ok ( had a few casts today in the high winds or at least I tried to).
I'll contact FMTC when I get back, I'm sure they will sort this out ok.

Cheers  -  Dave
Damn - failed again!!!

Wildfisher

Spindrift,

Did you ever get this rod problem sorted out?

By the way, don?t bother contacting Guide Fly Fishing. Unless you enjoy  good old British protectionism in   business and communication  inertia. In fact, I doubt if they will even bother  replying to you.

Contact Vision directly if you have any problems.

Try

tuomas.rytkonen@visiongroup.fi

And let him know about the service you have experienced.

Spindrift

:oops:   I'm a bit late replying here - sorry. Been doing other stuff and only now starting to get this weird urge to play with my fishing gear in the living room!! Can't be a good sign for my mental wellbeing.
Funny thing is I got kinda fond of this rod and didn't want to replace it with a "strange one". So I kept it - it's a funny game this wild trout fishing.
It performs better than I can and the bubbles do not affect the feel.
The strange thing is the rod only developed the bubbles after one particular days fishing in the hills above Kinlochewe. There were none before and no more seem to have appeared since. It was an incredibly wet day with torrential showers passing through; it was only later it dawned on me that I was fishing under cumulonimbus clouds often associated with big sparks that can really spoil your day! I didn't hear any thunder but I was wondering if it was possible an induced charge in the rod might have caused the bubbling?
Then again if Shielfishers rod has got bubbles as well it sounds like a QC issue. unless he too was fishing under a cloud so to speak!!.

Cheers  -  Dave.

PS thanks for all the help and advice everyone.
Damn - failed again!!!

lnelson20

Wouldn't be sure about that Dave :o but you never know :shock: twice in the past i have witnessed a serious thunderstorm while fishing the same loch[loch Humphrey]as it passed on each occassion there was the most amazing rise of fish on the surface[going mad]something to do with the change in atmospheric pressure i'm told,anyone else witnessed this :shock:  :?:
All the best lad's
Chris.
c.nelson

Go To Front Page