News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What is the ideal rod ................

Started by Wildfisher, February 02, 2011, 08:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

.............. in your opinion, for fishing a team of spiders, upstream, maximum of one to 2 rod lengths of line + leader. What length and  weight of rod and what weight of line would you use with it?

Inchlaggan

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Fishtales

The one I have at the time, which ATM is a 10' #7. I don't have different rods for different jobs I just use the one I have, except for the salmon, I have a 15' one for them :) I may use my 7' 6" #5 cane rod at some point this season but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Clan Ford

10ft 4 weight - not too fast.  It's what I use.  Half thinking of going down to a 3 weight but that might be too light for the odd sea trout I hook.

Norm

haresear

If the rod was only to be used for the stated purpose, I'd say 10 to 11 feet for a #3 line. I would probably use a #4 or #5 line with that and mainly roll cast.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

The bailiff at Abington and Crawford - a very prolific Clyde fisher putting it mildly - mainly fishes clyde style wets up, across and down. He uses a 12ft Daiwa rated 5-7. The amount of fish he catches is outrageous.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

The big softer rod makes sense to me.

Right, now real world. Assume you wish to add some versatility, you might want to switch to fishing dries if a good rise starts. What rod / line combo  would you chose to cover both these scenarios?

Wildfisher

10 foot rods are tiring to fish dries with all day.

Unit l I find something better I think I'd just use my fabulous Sage ZXL  9'  #4 and carry a #4 and a #5 line. It's got enough "feel"  for the wets and more than enough speed and response for dries. It's  simply a masterpiece of a rod.

haresear

Now we are in the real world, then I'll just go for a 9 footer for a #4 as I usually use, but I'll probably have a #5 line on it.
I'm assuming low water conditions, otherwise it would be a 9 footer #5 with a #6 line for fishing streamers or heavy nymphs.

alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Number one sounds boring.... i wouldn't take a rod  :makefun

Number 2 - something brutal like a hydros or tcx  :lol:

Go To Front Page