News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Advice on taking out a group of beginners

Started by tweedbunnet, February 23, 2011, 08:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyborthwick

I'm sure someone here can come up with a bandy water within an hour of Edinburgh for you. If you then set a date possibly a couple of the good casters could meet you there on your chosen day and help out with a bit of the casting.

I'd pick May as a good month - warm enough without too many midgees.

Sandy B.O.

bushy palmer

I fished Harperleas a lot last year and thankfully never blanked once. Within one hour of edinburgh and plenty room behind for dodgy back casting

greenwell

No, definitely not Loganlea. Well stocked, easy access to the reservoir and a friendly welcome but the banks are narrow, high and the telegraph wire just behind you is a constant nightmare for even experienced anglers and regulars of that venue alike. You could try Harperrig, speak to to the management for a deal on the tickets. Open, picturesque and easy, close parking. Banks are open so no casting obstacles with wild and stocked brownies which can always be found close in. Theipmuir is another alternative with open banks for brownies or it's neighbour Harlaw for rainbows. Malleny Angling Club might be prepared to do a deal on prices.
       For small water rainbows Selmuir might be ideal, stocked and with platforms ( non-slip ) and adjacent parking and cabin. Secluded and quiet during the week.

Greenwell

tweedbunnet

Guys

Many thanks for all your replies,  Brilliant.

Thinking about it, maybe Selmuir or similar is the place to go. I think it would be a good sort of choice having been there with my kids a few years ago.  I was impressed with it because it had smaller fish and not big slobbery rainbows.  I liked the way it was set out as a fishery and it is certainly not too far to travel.

I would love to get out into the wilds but I do remember fishing the like of Harperrigg and the one near Penicuik in the Spring 25 years ago.  I never ever seemed to get anything but a wild wind swept day when I found casting really hard. Mind you, the fishing was fine and I managed a couple of trout with larger Muddler type flies on the Dropper.

tweedbunnet

Go To Front Page