News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A Super-Versatile Rod

Started by Wildfisher, March 11, 2011, 06:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Scott S4 9 foot #5.

I used it exclusively in NZ this year. It will cast everything from a tiny dry fly to a woolly bugger. It handled fish over 6lb in fast water no problem. Alex landed an 11lb + fish on his.

Certainly the most versatile fly rod I have by a wide mile and a very nice rod to use, it has "feel"  and power.

3 weight

I've never tried the rod in question Fred but I reckon thats as good an all-round length/ line weight as you'll get.

Wildfisher

Quote from: 3 weight on March 11, 2011, 06:30:51 PM
I've never tried the rod in question Fred but I reckon thats as good an all-round length/ line weight as you'll get.

Alex reckons it is very similar to his Sage XP - but sadly you can't get those now.

davefromtheattic

It's on my list, Fred. Looking forward to trying out the XP that Parcel Farce dropped off this afternoon. The quest goes on!

3 weight

Never tried that either  :lol: I've always wanted a shot of a sage txl (I think) 000 weight, just to see if it is actually a useable fishing rod, if so I want one!

Brian Mcg

Hi Col The 9ft 4# Scott s4 is imo one of the best Fishing rods ever! The 5 on the other hand I could not get on with and I did try.
Imo it is nothing like the 5# xp which I think is a very good Casting rod.
I intend to buy a s4 4# again this year.

Brian

Wildfisher

I think Alex  has a Scott S4 #4 too, rates   it very highly and uses it here. Probably not the best choice for fishing in New Zealand though, you really do need a rod with a bit more power on most of the rivers there. Some guides don't use less than a #6.

haresear

Quote from: admin on March 11, 2011, 10:34:13 PM
I think Alex  has a Scott S4 #4 too, rates   it very highly and uses it here. Probably not the best choice for fishing in New Zealand though, you really do need a rod with a bit more power on most of the rivers there. Some guides don't use less than a #6.

Yes, the 9' S4 #4 and the 9' XP #4 are my favourite rods. I rarely go heavier on the rivers.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quoteit has a lower swing weight or something.

:lol: :lol: you are nuts, but in a nice way :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Meh, I'd have my rods over it. Actually hang on I do, that's why I chose them!  :lol:

Interesting I got to try the S4s #5, the saltwater version. That is indeed a nice rod, got some serious beef to it  :8)

Go To Front Page