News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Lines

Started by snatcher, September 15, 2005, 11:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatcher

I'm sure one of you could answer this for me... I was looking at fly lines on sale on the Glasgow Angling Centre website (http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Super_Sale.html#a141). I know I have a 7 weight rod and would buy line to suit but when it comes to sinking lines, what does Di3 mean for example? There are also lines reffered to as DT, what's that?

Kind Regards,
James
Ah.... 'The Take'

snatcher

Thanks for that. Would I be correct in saying that the higher the Di number, the faster the sink rate? Do the numbers refer to anything specific?
Ah.... 'The Take'

Wildfisher

The number usually means inches / sec sink rate. Be careful  though not to confuse this number with the line weight. For example WF7 HD6,  means a weight forward profile line, high density (it sinks) with a sink rate  of 6? / sec. Different manufacturers use different means to describe the characteristics their lines, however, the WF DT etc etc should be the same as it is a standard.

snatcher

Thank you both. That clears it up for me. Fred did you find out anymore info on the Daiwa Wilderness rod?
Ah.... 'The Take'

Wildfisher

Quote from: snatcherFred did you find out anymore info on the Daiwa Wilderness rod?

sorry no

ten boaber

OK I know this is one of these questions BUT...
I am away to buy a new floater ( the Barrio's in the shopee look very tempting ) but should i buy wf or dt? Some advice please, even if it is contradictory, would be much appreciated.

ten boaber

I mainly fish wet fly on lochs at the moment
I am looking to lighten my tackle this year, probably about #6
I am tending towards a double tapered but concerned about how it will cast in the wind, as Ogil can be a bit windy to say the least, but can then turn into a mill pond just as quick.

ten boaber

Thought of buying one of each but not won the lotto yet :lol: esp if I also have to buy new intermediate/sink tip etc for new rod
On the presentation aspect, is dt that much better? Is this more important for dries than wet? There are times when, if it is a mill pond I think its like chucking stones at them when i cast :lol:  :lol:  :lol:Its not such a big issue if I fish my local waters as i can take more gear.Its when I go to the hill lochs that I have to walk to that I am thinking of.

rabbitangler

One question. How often do you catch fish less than 10 yds away from you?? more often than not eh?? :?

So whats the difference?? :?

Must admit that I've gone back to a DT after ten years of WF lines(one of Mike's, can't fault it) and not really noticed too much difference. Quite honestly if you want more bang for your buck :shock: (oooooooooooooh missus) you could do worse than invest in a couple of hours instruction to get your casting technique spot on, then it doesn't really matter whether its DT or WF. :D

Peter

Havtafish

I personally use all DT. One thing I havnt seen mentioned here is that with a DT its like you get two lines. When one end goes you just flip it around. Can't do that with a WF. On a couple of my stiffer rods I use one,two or even three lines up to get it to cast right. Rod ratings are a strange thing and my best advice is to go first with cheap and choose a line that casts good with your rod. You may quite shocked at what weight of line casts best with your rod. Once you know splurge and get a good line. I had a five weight which threw an 8 line perfectly(so much for AFTMA rod rating).
The main difference between all the line profiles ie DT WF is where the plastic is located across the whole of the line. WF most the plastic lumped out towards the end DT evenly distributed with tapers at both ends. The total weight of lets say a DT 7 & and WF 7 are the same the difference comes in the profile. Start with what your rod is rated for and even borrow a friends line if bigger or smaller and try it.

I have yet to fish anywhere where you need extreme distance to catch fish. Theres a big myth IMO about WF and distance being the number one thing. I knew a guy at home who could belt out a full DT line and have the backing in his rings. I would rather perfect casting and watercraft. This will put more fish in your bag hands down.

Go To Front Page