News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A wee rod

Started by Andrew Moray, May 05, 2011, 12:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Moray

Hello,

Looking for some advice on a 6'6" rod for a a new bit of water I joined this year.
Preferably cheap, as it'll be taking a fair amount of abuse once the growth starts to get heavier.
I think, but I'm open to being enlightened, that the extra 6" over a 6' rod will offer a bit more flexibility - mending and the like.
I've walked a fair amount of it in the last few weeks, and although there is some heavily overgrown stretches, I think I'll get away with a 6'6" for the most part.

TIA,
Tony

davefromtheattic

I've been using a 7'6" #4 Shakey Odessy XT on my wee river and it's a cracking wee rod for the money. Cordura tube too for ?26. I'd check them out.

Malcolm

Tony,

Have you thought of split cane? Zhu do a 6ft 9 2 weight for about ?120 including postage. I tried a slightly longer model courtesy of Buzz and was very impressed with it particularly for short casting even on the brutally windy day that I tried it.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Allan Crawford

Maybe still some of the old style 2010 Greys Streamflex available half price !
I have the 7' 6" 3 wt and like it. Half price its even better !

Andrew Moray

Many thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Col - building a rod is waaay beyond my ken  :D

I use a 7' on the more open bits, but suspect that might be a bit too long in the heavier stretches, especially once it all starts getting a bit denser.
I suspect the nephew will be asked to detour via a Cabelas on his US trip next week  :D.

Thanks
Tony

scotty9

Get a really soft 9' rod. Only use the top 2 sections and tape a reel onto it. There you have a very small rod that may work quite well. Emphasis on the soft rod!

I tried this with a hydros and you have to move your hand brutally fast as it doesn't bend much and straightens rather quickly  :lol:

Andrew Moray

Hello All,

Just to round this up.

The post on FFF about Steve Parton bringing his empire to an end got me off my arse and I gave him a bell.
Mentioned that wee wand that Malcolm let me try, and told him what I was looking for.
A wee rummage revealed a "Midge", 6' #2/3 2 piece, a one off he'd done for someone many years ago, "I'll have that" says I.
A wee bit more than I'd hoped to spend, but not by much, well chuffed.

Only need to wait out the gales to give it a go, wriggling with anticipation I am  :D

Inchlaggan

I've said it before but I will say it again, overweight a 6ft Fladen and you get a very nice set-up for very few beer vouchers.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

gasman

when is Steve Parton closing shop?

Go To Front Page