News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Getting the Needle

Started by River Chatter, August 18, 2011, 08:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

Does anyone else struggle to thread a needle through the end of the fly line in readiness for a needle knot or superglue connection?  I'm using an 80/12 sewing machine needle, which was ok-ish last time I tried, but this time my bloody fingers are sore trying.  I eventually did it only to have the superglue connection fail when I gave it a test pull.  What's the secret to making this easier?

Wildfisher

I sometimes have the same problem. Some say heating the needle helps although I have yet to try it.

River Chatter

I'm trying to avoid that Fred, as it leaves the end of the fly line more open, which is good for threading a leader but not so good for a superglue connection: less snug. 

alancrob

80/12 might be a bit big depending on the line. I have a friend who has the machine running every day and gave me some needles to try. I found 70/10 works.  Also get a new one! They will blunt very easily if hit on hard surfaces.

You could also dip the 1st 10mm of the line in some hot water to get started, any more and it is too soft to work with.

A.

Ythanjoe

Get a pin vice ( mine was about a fiver on ebay), insert a small sewing machine needle tip first , snap it in half , turn it around , tighten, stuff it up the end of the fly line with a slight twisting action, no sore fingers, no heating of the fly line ....and don't forget to sandpaper the end of the leader and pull it back into the fly line.
Or get one of those C&F jobs , but be really careful who you lend it to  :lol: :lol:
Joe

scotty9

I do the same as Joe only without the vice.

Put the needles just into the tip of the line, pinch the line between your thumb and forefinger and roll it as you gently press it down onto the needle. Very easy and you won't accidently pop the needle out the coating.

haresear

QuoteI do the same as Joe only without the vice.

Put the needles just into the tip of the line, pinch the line between your thumb and forefinger and roll it as you gently press it down onto the needle. Very easy and you won't accidently pop the needle out the coating.

Me too. I use a needle knot a couple of centimetres up the line and finish it with a superglue connection.

Alex
Protect the edge.

James

I can remember when i first got into fly fishing and getting a reel , backing , main line and worrying how i attach everything to each other.
I found the needle knot on the net and used that , first ever attempt i ended up with the needle in my finger instead of the main line ooops lol.

I seemed to have got the hang of it for my 3 other lines. as i use the needle knot to attach my backing to main line.

Highlander

QuoteOr get one of those C&F jobs

The C&F tool is a great wee gadget & whilst they say it can be used for fly lines I would utter caution. The shaft is very fine & will break easily if pushed too hard.
If buying one which is not cheap do not buy in the first place the Orvis one as it is the same as the C& F but a few quid dearer last time I looked. I use mine for clearing fly eyes of varnish & picking out dry flies from a compartment type box with the magnetic end.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page