News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scott S4 #5 9 foot

Started by Wildfisher, March 10, 2012, 03:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

The best all round rod currently available .................

Discuss.

:lol:

Traditionalist

Some people think it's very good indeed;

http://michaelgracie.com/2010/02/25/rod-review-scott-s4-905-4/

http://www.mainefishingadventures.com/index.php/2009/01/11/scott-s4-fly-rod-review/

Others are not so keen.  If you want to carry only one rod for various types of fishing then it is probably one of the best choices in that weight and length, but a lot depends on what you are used to and what types of fishing you actually do. I have used it and it is OK but I am not all that keen on "All-purpose" rods. Personally I prefer to use different rods for different fishing. Also, for the type of fishing I mostly do a #5 weight is too heavy for a lot of stuff and too light for other things.

I also tend to use different lines for various things in order to make rods more versatile.  In my opinion there are #4 weights which are better suited to a lot of "general" fishing.

TL
MC

Wildfisher

It's my go to rod Mike, but I confess the post is a bit tongue in cheek. I am just waiting for Alan Of The Orvis Barge Pole  to bite.  :lol:  The rod has one fault and Joe's rod does the same, the tendency  for the lowest two joints to loosen easily when fishing. You really have to check regularly. Other than that it is a superb rod, with the ideal balance between a stiff- fast action, power  and fishabilty. Its  colour is non-flash and sombre looking, bends well into a fish and it roll casts like a dream.

Traditionalist

Not everybody likes stiff fast rods.  Also, a much belaboured point but it bears repeating, there is actually no such thing as a #5 weight rod, although this has become common usage. Any rod will cast anything within it's response range.  The only tackle which is actually specified is fly-fishing lines. These have to fit certain specifications.

The "weight" of a rod is very subjective.  I have had professional casters come up with all sorts of "weights" for rods.

TL
MC

alancrob

QuoteThe best all round rod currently available

Value for money?

I could not justify £600 for the fishing I do.

A.

Traditionalist

If you want value for money;

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/rods-%28includes-kits-and-combos%29/trout-fly-fishing-rods/1/masterline/12961/

I guarantee that a lot of people wont be able to tell the difference between that and rods costing 20...30 times the price, and they wont catch any fewer fish with it either! :)

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Quote from: alancrob on March 10, 2012, 05:16:25 PM
Value for money?

I could not justify £600 for the fishing I do.

A.

I think it costs about £450 new. I got mine, as new,  from BuzzTackle for about £200. I'd still say it is worth £450 though as I have not found another rod, currently manufactured, that comes close to matching it for versatility.

Ythanjoe

The ScottS4 #5 9ft quickly became my favorite rod, for bank fishing on lochs , bought last season for around £450 from America, with a free Rio line thrown in , I have no regrets. I prefer the Sage ZXL for river fishing but would pick up the Scott instead on windy days, or larger rivers than I usually fish.
Joe

Malcolm

Just a tad light for my liking as an all rounder. I prefer a slightly heavier longer rod. What do you find it does better - longer casts, shorter casts, speys or platform stuff?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on March 10, 2012, 08:17:03 PM
What do you find it does better

It just does everything well, that's what makes it a good all round trout fly rod. For some home based stuff on smaller rivers I prefer the #4 Sage ZXL, but it's a tad light to be an all rounder. The Scott also handles big fish very well indeed, it has enough give throughout  it's length when playing a fish (bends well), while still having the power to subdue quickly (important if fishing  C+R). It also  has  an overall  confidence giving quality feel about it which I think  is important. Having confidence in your gear is probably the single most important factor.

Go To Front Page