News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scott S4 #5 9 foot

Started by Wildfisher, March 10, 2012, 03:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Rub a wee bit of candle wax on the lowest joint, should stop it loosening, only a tiny bit mind you, too much and it won't seat together properly.

Have you tried the Scott S4S 9 #5? You have to try that, very different to the normal S4!

Malcolm

Do you like it?

You seem to like rods that I can't cast Scott.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

I do but I wouldn't use it for trout fishing. It would get cast in the field and taken pike and salt water fishing. It's suits an 8 weight line best  :lol: A #5 is fine for chucking it a long way but you really want to go heavier for normal use.

haresear

QuoteThe Scott also handles big fish very well indeed, it has enough give throughout  it's length when playing a fish (bends well), while still having the power to subdue quickly (important if fishing  C+R).

Very true. It landed this today in about a minute flat. Unfortunately the S4 does not attract the ladies of the stream :)

Protect the edge.

scotty9

Nice! What did it you take it on? Is that bird damage just behind the dorsal or just the light?

All rods should have a matt finish!

bibio1

I spent a lot of time over the years looking for the best fishing tool. Settled on a winston wt 4  weight. Great rod for rivers but useless on a loch, for that I use my trusty Aquarius, a feckin brilliant rod. Gave up on super expense years ago as well. The fashion for super fast rods amazes me as they are not fishing tools. I had a sage z-axis used it for 2 months and ended up giving it away.

I liked the Scott and zxl in smaller line sizes but not sure I would use them now.

Rods are like wifes, you can have too many.

Cheers

Paul

haresear

QuoteWhat did it you take it on? Is that bird damage just behind the dorsal

Beadhead hares ear sort of thing. I never had a good look at the damage to be honest, but it could be  healing lamprey bites.

On the Scott #5. I like it as a general purpose rod, but I tend to use #4 rods mostly.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: guest on March 11, 2012, 01:13:31 AM
Is it only in Argyll the season opens on the 15th of March? :? :)

I was after grayling Andy. If I caught the same fish next weekend I would be very pleased. As it was, I was disappointed when the big grayling turned out to have spots.
I still thought it worth a photo :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on March 10, 2012, 11:31:54 PM
Rods are like wifes, you can have too many.

what you need then is  the monogamous Sage One  

If Sage ever bring  out "The Sage None"  I'll buy that, as will a few other  now happily free men on this forum.  :lol:

east wind

I bought one last July and had one good night with it during an evening rise. Then I failed the "how to fit a modern fly rod into a ridiculously small diameter tube " test.

So I've sat at home through the winter looking across at its replacement with wild staring eyes  .............waiting.

Now I look forward to April, casting above the neb's of big slurping troot. The rod now resides in a Shakespeare tube of sensible proportions and will be treated like a family heirloom.

Mac

edit : So an S4 catches grayling and troot of the standard shown here ?

This season is going to be shooty in  :8)
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Go To Front Page