News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Leader manufacturer

Started by 13Fisher1, June 27, 2012, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Protect the edge.

haresear

Quoteoh ya beauty..double taper leaders without knots on and i only need to buy 50 or something :D

Buy 200, smuggle them to Iceland and finance your trip. :) Not those ones obviously, something that is actually useful.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Not ANOTHER fucking chart!  :lol:

You know, sometimes I think some anglers would be better served by spending  less time concentrating on the minutiae of tackle and more time fishing and leave this stuff to the shed or lawn bound pretend anglers.

Modern rods, fly lines , leaders and all the other pish, hype and bullshit.   I am astonished I managed  to catch any fish at all 30 years ago.  :roll:

13Fisher1

So Admin if I follow your logic then we should still be fishing with slit cane rods, cat gut ett and all sharing of knowledge and advances should be burned/banned????

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on July 12, 2012, 01:58:12 PM
the article has some pretty interesting stuff in, for example roughly what your real breaking strain is with a knot in..

I read some of the responses on fly forums. Apparently the Davy Knot came out badly. This made me wonder  about the entire "review".

Scott did tests a few years ago. The Davy Knot was one of the best.

Scott does not spend his time sitting in cold sheds, he fishes, he  is skilled, he understands fishing.

I therefore believe Scott's review.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on July 12, 2012, 02:18:06 PM
i don't use the davey knot for er..the same reasons in the review, it can fail for no apparent reason even after a good pull to test.

I don't use a 1/2 blood unless I have to because it also fails for no apparent reason - sometimes. But sometimes it doesn't. My guess is sometimes I tie it well and sometimes I don't.

Wildfisher

The first fish I hooked in NZ last February on The Mataura broke me.  A poor, hurriedly tied and not properly tested  water knot parted. No amount of  test chart studying  would have fixed that. I am very dubious indeed of reviews like those. I think it is far more important to stick with what works for you or recommendations from those you respect and test test test. Only a lot of fishing and sadly a few  lost fish  will prove what works for you. There are just too many variables to be absolute about these things.

I use 3 knots: 2 turn water knot, 3 turn uni knot and 1/2 blood if using a short dropper and don't have enough materiel to tie a uni-knot. I use these knots because I can tie them blindfold and they don't let me down unless I have been stupidly careless, which, after 40 years of fishing I still am on occasion. I'd bet everyone is on occasion - all it takes is a distraction.

haresear

QuoteI use 3 knots: 2 turn water knot, 3 turn uni knot and 1/2 blood if using a short dropper and don't have enough materiel to tie a uni-knot. I use these knots because I can tie them blindfold and they don't let me down unless I have been stupidly careless, which, after 40 years of fishing I still am on occasion.

Same here.

The only other knots I use are a simple overhand loop, a full blood knot for knotting thick butt pieces and a needle knot. Oh and there is the shock leader knot too, for winter beachblanking :)

We have been here before, but I find different lines need different knots and not all of us tie our knots exactly the same when it comes to tensioning and tightening. When I first tried Frog Hair my old tucked half blood proved unreliable and it was Bob Wyatt who suggested I try the Uni Knot. I did and it solved the problem and was easy to tie, so now that's what I use.

Alex 
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on July 12, 2012, 03:17:14 PM
those are pretty lean knots

I firmly believe  that the more turns the weaker the knot. You have to use enough turns to prevent it slipping of course. I have never had properly tied and tested 2 turn water knot fail.

Inchlaggan

As the son of a Master Mariner of the old school I was taught the difference between a knot, hitch and bend and can get pedantic about it too! Blindfold, behind my back and over my head were all part of the training, at one time I could splice blindfold- useless in fishing. Knots never fail as a result of the material used, you tied it wrong or used the wrong knot for the task in hand (the exception is the failure of the material itself).
Anglers rarely consider the diameter of the tippet in comparison to the diameter of the hook eye to which they tie it. At the conclusion of tying the tippet and shank are aligned, but the action of casting moves the final bight of the knot within the eye in the two available planes resulting in abrasion and/or heat which weakens the tippet. The smaller the diameter of the tippet in relation to the hook eye, the greater this effect.
When examining a "failed" knot, are you certain that you are looking at all the material that comprised the knot? (properly a bend, told you I could get pedantic!) or just some twisted nylon above the break?
Are you tying the knot exactly as you should? Do you turn blood knots clockwise or anti-clockwise?
The Bowline can be tied in a left or right-handed configuration, both are adequate in most situations but the left-handed version is inferior- this is not an attack on the corriefisted, it describes the knot, not you.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page