News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Travel rod

Started by stuartm, December 06, 2012, 11:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuartm

Hi
Looking for a travel rod (4-6-7) pieces 9ft size 5 weight for carrying on or in day pack for under £100. I've had some bad experiences with Shakespeare daily cheap travel rods. Any advise?
Thanks

Wildfisher

I have a few travel rods, but seldom use them now. I prefer a  standard  4pc. Best of the mutli-section rods for me have been March Brown. http://marchbrown.com/home.html

Billy

I have a seven piece Ron Thompson I use for the hills sometimes.

Its a bit agricultural and very little finess when it comes to casting but it punches a good line out in a wind and it would probably survive a herd of Wildebeast running over the top of it.

I think i picked it up for £35.

Billy

Malcolm

I have a lovely Hardy Gem 6 piece which is ideal but it is a fragile rod with very thin blank walls however it is a great travel rod. The March Browns that I have tried are superb. It's worth keeping an eye on Ebay but look at the site first as they often have major sales on to find out the going price for a new one first.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

stuartm

Guddler

I have a bit of a thing about multi-piece travel rods and have an Orvis Frequent Flier, a Greys Missionary and a March Brown   :? Picked them all up second hand so have never had to pay too much, honest! :-)

The orvis is probably my favourite but I'm no caster at all. I see that Harris Sportsmail are doing the Wychwood Quest 6 piece for £85 delivered if you can't hang around waiting for something to pop up on the second hand market.

EDIT: Just got a email flier from Harris Sportsmail today and they're doing a further 10% off so they're now £74.69 delivered which seems a pretty good price.

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Guddler on December 08, 2012, 04:53:52 PM
I have a bit of a thing about multi-piece travel rods and have an Orvis Frequent Flier, a Greys Missionary and a March Brown   :? Picked them all up second hand so have never had to pay too much, honest! :-)

The orvis is probably my favourite but I'm no caster at all. I see that Harris Sportsmail are doing the Wychwood Quest 6 piece for £85 delivered if you can't hang around waiting for something to pop up on the second hand market.

EDIT: Just got a email flier from Harris Sportsmail today and they're doing a further 10% off so they're now £74.69 delivered which seems a pretty good price.

Had a look at this rod when it was in the shops, sounds like a reasonable deal if your after a cheapish multi piece for the hill lochs not as cheap as Shaky but better rod. I also have a thing for multipiece rods especially for wild fishing!

stuartm

Thanks
The lifetime guarantee that comes with the march brown will probably sway it for me.

shad

I really like fulling mill rods , I have 4 which I picked up on eBay for under £30 each.All 4 section but they do 5 section models.
They are identical to temple fork rods sold in the USA just rebranded ,lovely light rods which cast as well as my top end rods, worth looking out for.
Cheers Colin

Go To Front Page