News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Choice of Salmon / Sea Trout Rod

Started by 13Fisher1, July 26, 2012, 09:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13Fisher1

I haven't taken yet down to the GCC but will do in the next week or so. I've been using Teithers 15' Guideline for tuition which he kindly has made available. This was initially due to my own 15' Trion being largely useless as it had a mismatched #10 line originally on it which nobody at GCC could load rod enough to cast. This is resolved by doing a deal with Malcolm who did me a great deal for a Hardy short Spey #11 that he had been unsuccessfully testing on a rod.

I mention all of this because the first lesson was that my 15' line/rod combination was wrong, I had thought it was just my ineptitude at casting. (Which was the other big problem)
Now that this has been discovered and addressed I have been given and started to get to grips with Spey cast basics via Teithers patience and time t GCC and can now practice on my Trion 15'.
I then plan to get your lovely 12.5 rod set up and try to get a line/ rod balance established for this rod probably at the GCC and of course happily will allow the guys to try it. I can try the line you kindly sent, the Hardy 11 short Spey and the original #10 airflow I had. Not sure I will buy any further Airflow line products for various reasons.

I did try it at end of the season on River Leven and your rod got a lot of admiring attention from the
anglers at the Bonhill bridge "meeting point"!!

Anyhow, Mike will sure to sure to let you know and give you fb, thanks again!

Traditionalist

Yes, mismatched stuff is a huge problem for many, not least because they don't even realise it!  Hard enough learning some things, but impossible if the stuff doesn't work anyway.  An excellent reason to take advantage of tips or lessons from experienced anglers.

Go To Front Page