News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rods I won't be using again

Started by Malcolm, January 02, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I have a few rods which I won't be using again and before I put them on Ebay I'll put them on here as they may be of interest.

1. A David Norwich 12ft 7/8 M500 salmon Rod. 3 piece
This may be the lightest salmon rod ever made and is so light I can use it for hours as a single hander. A second use would be for those who do loch style fishing on places like Loch Lomond for salmon and big seatrout. As with all Norwich rods the finish and fittings are superb. The best line to use depends very much on whether you would be overhead or spey casting.  For overhead casting I would be using a 7 or maybe 8 weight trout line - I told you this was light. For spey casting I would look to something like a Rio Steelhead 8 weight which is a superb line on this rod in my opinion. I wouldn't touch modern spey lines in 7 or 8 weight as these are really about the equivalent of a trout line size 11 or more.

I am selling this because I am truly hopeless with short double handers - I've no idea why - and end up using it as a single hander which is plain daft.

2. A Loomis Trilogy 10ft 7 weight 3 piece. These were not marketed in this country but were a very long running production rod by Loomis in the US. You can still buy these at closeout prices in the US and I've seen this model down at $430 dollars recently. The last one of this size and weight that I saw on Ebay sold for £187. The rod was designed for Steelhead fishing.

These rods are very well built and the spec is pretty impressive. with maple reel seat and  Titaninium Nickel Carbide rings.

This rod is the most powerful 7 weight I have ever used. It's not a tip actioned rod though. This rod is a very long casting rod. This rod is an ideal salmon and seatrout rod for spate rivers. However it is not soft enough for me, I like soft slow rods for fishing as you will know by now but for those who like powerful rods then this would be excellent. 
I would much rather swap than sell. I am a sucker for good reels - Abel and other good makes. A top centrepin maybe and I am also interested in a really good saltwater heavy shorecasting multiplier - a Daiwa Saltist size 30 and one of their SLOsh 30s would be an option. Maybe you have a top grade 10ft 7/8 weight rod (not fast actioned) by David Norwich or another good maker. Or a good 9ft -10ft 3/4 weight rod.

A big heavy salmon rod would be good too 16ft + but not an old one, unlike trout rods I prefer more modern salmon rods so no Hexagraphs or Hardy Favourites.

Let me know if you are interested. If I get no interest in the swap I will sell although I have no idea what the David Norwich is worth.

I may be putting more stuff up in the near future.

Malcolm 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page